Booking a Gite

Teamedup

For those of you not in the trade, IF you were booking a gite where would you look.

Personally as I find that gites are usually expensive, I always go through gites de france, which I feel affords me some guarantees. If I found some other reputable organisation I may look at them too, but so far have been satisfied with the gites via gites de france.

So if you are going to rent holiday property where would you look.

We uusually camp, but for a Gite would probably go through Gites de France too. We have in the past, but don't tend to use Gites anymore as we find we can camp for 3 weeks for the cost of 1 week in a Gite and I'd rather be away for 3 weeks than 1.

We have occasionally also used Chambres d'hote through Gites de France and have been both delighted and disgusted. On one occasion we booked a place and liked it so much that we booked a return visit - only to return and find they'd double booked us simply because the other people had wanted more days than us and the hosts hadn't bothered to phone us and just found us an alternative which was extremely basic - so basic that my husband couldn't even stand up in the room - he's 6'4" that's not huge - I had to bend in half of the room too. Another Chambre d'hote - the host wasn't even there and had arranged for a neigbour to let us in. One of the rooms had clearly had a dog in it judging by the stench and was full of flies. Breakfast next morning was served by a neighbour and consisted of stale brioche. I really should have written to complain, but hesitated simply because the Gite was in a village where friends live and didn't want to cause hard feelings. So, although Gites de France are pretty good, they aren't foolproof at all levels.

TU, fully concur with the GdF suggestion, we particularly like their gite grading system, it's very reliable.  And ever noticed how they're always in the most beautiful spot?  You also find there's always a good choice of GdF in areas less popular with the British (assuming these corners of France exist nowadays).  We've traditionally used them, as in the past certainly, though no longer today, I'm sure, majority of owners were French and properties had a French feel to them.  So no problems if you're not bothered about provision of mugs or kettles, etc.

M (only Brit not to own an electric kettle?)

Yes, you will find that the huge majority are French owned. Going by a quick look through our members Gites and Chambres book, it looks like at least 90% plus are French owned.

I think the G de Fr rental properties are certainly the cheapest option. One might not get the modern trend of fully equipped this and that but, on occasion you will find a place that offers you everything a top British owned gite gives you but at a far reduced weekly rental.

A good look through their guide book and a read between the lines can find you a wonderful place in a beautiful region for an excellent weekly price. I have asked about a forum for G de Fr but as yet, no such luck. I know a  B&B French forum, where it is handy for us to pop in and see how the French themselves are feeling about the current situations but it would be good to have a gite feedback forum as well.  

MJW, we haven't owned an electrical kettle for that long. I always had an whistler on the gaz hob. However, I realised I was getting through a bottle of gaz every 6-8 weeks and it is very expensive now, so bought an electric one. Gas bottles last an awful lot longer now and the electricity bill didn't soar either.

I've searched on the net and I've looked at GdeF. I find it difficult to get somewhere for 2 of us at a reasonable price. We've booked mobile homes the last 2 years. One thing that really annoys me with French sites like GdeF is the additonal booking fee they ask for. Surely they can cost this in, how does someone make a booking without incuring these extra charges?

Liz (29)

[quote]I've searched on the net and I've looked at GdeF. I find it difficult to get somewhere for 2 of us at a reasonable price. We've booked mobile homes the last 2 years. One thing that really annoys me...[/quote]

As far as I am aware, the majority of gites with G de Fr are in their guide books and one books direct with the owner of the gite you wish to book.

Gites are owned by individuals, so why wouldn't G de Fr ask for a small booking fee if you want to book through them, rather than booking direct with the owner? It is not correct surely, to include a booking fee for G de Fr in ones rental prices, as most bookings will come direct to the owner, so it's not really fair to charge people for a price which includes the possibility that some one else is booking with G de Fr direct.You will possibly need to buy a G de Fr guide book, in the UK for B&B you can purchase the AA B&B in France book which takes "job lot" all chambres d'hôtes with G de Fr of 3 epis or more. As for cottages, they have a choice for you to purchase, regional and national plus other factors.

I really can't believe that you cannot find a place at a reasonable rate

Try the following link to see their choices of guide books.

http://www.itea2.com/GUIDE/index2.php?type=GN&SID=611156de067920485a1c7a7598afe0f2

<< For those of you not in the trade, IF you were booking a gite where would you look. >>

Nowadays I’d use GdF and book direct with the owner. In the past – 10+ years ago – we regularly used VFB. They certainly aren’t the cheapest but they consistently delivered good quality, well-equipped, clean gites. They used to – perhaps still do – check all their cottages on a yearly basis so they maintained a standard.

http://www.vfbholidays.co.uk/

Carole

We've stayed with GdF twice this year, we simply log on to their website (can't recall address but it's an obvious one) and then follow up with a phone call to local regional office.  I would imagine fluent French helps but assume someone somewhere speaks English.

Rest assured though the standard of accommodation (in our experience) is high, even in the non-top notch, ie 2/3 epis, places.  My OH can be a bit picky but he was bowled over by both houses.  Both squeaky clean, fully equipped kitchens crammed full of gadgets, pure linen sheets (put ours at home to shame), miles better value than anything we've found on the usual websites/and brochures, I could go on.  Lovely owners too, although a bit relieved to find Brits that could speak their language....

Highly recommend.  M

[quote]We've stayed with GdF twice this year, we simply log on to their website (can't recall address but it's an obvious one) and then follow up with a phone call to local regional office. I would imagine ...[/quote]

We have stayed in G de F chambre d'hotes at least twice this year.  Both excellent value and the plus side was that the people we met there were very hospitable and informative.  Agree with you MWJ, that frequently these places are in the most picturesque situations and often because of the typically french interiors one can get a feel for what looks right in some of these old houses.

Recently we booked a night in a ferme auberge (not G de F) and even now I get quite nostalgic about the place as it was exceptionally beautiful with a view to take your breath away.  Not cheap, but well worth it.