Getting to the Top

I have discovered that Sarko is a first generation immigrant! Perhaps everybody else in the World already knew this, but I was surprised to find out that his dad was Hungarian. OK, the name suggested some distant foreign ancestory, but nothing prepared me for this. Now this man is leading the UMP and could well be president after 2007. Could this bode well for the offspring of immigrants such as us? If so, I would like to "dibbs" the post of whoever is in charge of police brutality and the Health Service for my youngest daughter (Letitia - age 3).

Not sure what you mean by "immigrants such as us"?   Unless you're a Muslim, of course.  One of his stated aims is to integrate the Muslim population, who represent about 10% of France's population, but who have little or no representation in high places.  

Anyway, those of you who think this doesn't affect you, read this article from the BBC about Sarko, and there's something in it that might just make you take notice  

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3673102.stm   

Be scared.  Be very very scared.     

Agree with that SB.

Sarko - when I first moved here I kept seeing him on the news eyt. 'Who is that man' I cried, I found him rather hypnotic, and I recently realised that he reminded me of Peter Mandleson, not the real Peter Mandleson, but the cartoon swoopy spooky one with the spinning eyes and Darth Vader-like attributes, who used to on one of Rory Bremners shows.

Jond - if your daughter became Minister for Health she would be following in the footsteps of another immigrant who got to the top - Simone Veil who 30 years ago as Health Minister pushed through the law which legalised abortion in France . I think she was an immigrant - she was a survivor from Auschwitz.   Pat.