Postage UK to France - double duty?

Hi,

If a family member (or even myself !) sends me a parcel containing items that I already own would I still have to pay duty on them when they arrive in France (value £200 for example)?

Can anyone suggest any economical carriers? The cheapest I've found so far is Parcel2go at £25 + VAT, Royal Mail being more expensive.

Thanks,

F24

I don't think there is duty on most goods within the EU, I don't have to even fill in a customs form when I send parcels to France.

I have always stuck to Royal Mail, but then I have the benefit of a friendly and helpful assistant in the local PO, who points me in the right direction regarding prices.

Is the price you were quoted 'Surface Mail' ?

There can be no extra VAT or import duty payable in one EU country on any item bought VAT paid in another EU country and personally imported. It wouldn't be legal. Nor can you be billed for a Customs presentation charge. It makes no difference whether the items are new or used or yours or not. Posting a parcel counts as a personal import.

The only exception is for items carrying special taxes like fuel or alcohol or tobacco where local Customs may try and make you pay that special tax if they think that the items aren't for your personal use.