We are thinking of finally making the move to France and taking early retirement(59+55).

I (55) currently get free prescriptions in the UK as I have to take thyroid tablets forever.

Does anyone know if there is a similar scheme in france or will I have to pay for them?

[quote]We are thinking of finally making the move to France and taking early retirement(59+55). I (55) currently get free prescriptions in the UK as I have to take thyroid tablets forever. Does anyone know...[/quote]

Sorry but no such thing in France for hypothyroidism,and youwill have to pay,at about1.5 euros per monthly prescription,plus the 20euros per consultation to the doc.every 2 months(13 back aprox if in French system)You will also have much more frequent blood tests which have to be paid for with again a 60% reimbursment,than in UK.There is no exemption for this,unless someone knows better hopefully.My wifes prescription seems to vary after every blood test.Best wishes-Maude

Thank you Maude for your quick and thorough response. How much are the blood tests?

I also take epilepsy tablets so maybe I will have to pay for those too.

We have only just started to delve into the workings of the French healthcare system and although I don't consider myself lacking in grey matter I find the whole subject as clear as mud.

I have been reading through the health section on these forums (I probably should have put the original question there,shouldn't I ?) and I am more confused than ever.

Is there anywhere that explains the whole thing with enough clarity for someone of my advancing years to take in ?

Thanks again

Lesley

Basically we have to pay something towards the health care we use.

There are a few exceptions to this and there is an official list of illnesses and conditions where one is reimbursed at a 100%, but only for that condition.

In consequence most of us take out health insurance in the form of a mutualist. Costs for this vary and some companies won't take on new clients over a certain age.

Now that 100% is not always what it seems I'm afraid, but I don't think that that would affect a condition that was reimbursed at a 100%.

Clear as mud, all I can say is that when I see my mutualist form, I cannot always work out what is what as the amounts that the social security reimburse are not always clear. Some things are on the CPAM web site, but not all of them.

I will see if I can get hold of the lists you mentioned and also have a look at the CPAM website.

My husband is Belgian (French speaking) and he says that there was a similar system over there but he has been in the UK for 35 years and doesn't know the ins and outs these days.

Thank you for your comments -- very helpful.

Sorry, but thyroid problems dont come under the heading of 'maladies du longue duree' as they do in  the UK.  I get back 65% of my prescription charges and get blood test once a year.  Much better than the UK where they never bother to check thyroid levels unless you pester. Thyroxine is a cheap drug - dont know about epilepsy treatment.  You can ask for the list of critical and chronic illnesses from CPAM which shows those drugs which are reimbursed 100%.  You get 60% back for tests - not expensive at all, done immediately and the results posted to you the next day. I used to wait 3 weeks for an appointment for blood tests in the UK and then the great secrets were sent some weeks later to my GP who may or may not, decide to tell me the results. I have nothing but praise for the French system.