Beggars Banquet

Richard-R

Down at our local supermarket today. Nearly backed into a large rock, if not for a beggar shouting out that is was the ( in the middle of a parking bay!), so stopped to chat to him. "Why are you begging in this little place. Not that many people here." Well it seems he used to ply his 'trade' in Béziers but there is now a Muslim Mafia (his words) that control most of the begging along the south coast of France. If you try and set up 'shop' they beat you half to death. Now i have noticed in these last 2 years more beggers in small towns, but gave it very little thought. Have you found your small local towns invaded m the great unwashed?

Felt sorry for the guy so brought him a couple of cakes ( seem to rember a French lady saying, let them eat cake) and the euro from the cart.

There are two men that appear regularly on market day. One sells magazines and the other, younger, just sits there looking cold and miserable. I usually give them something. When we first came here there was a catholic organisation which collected food donations outside Intermarche every Friday and Saturday but I haven't seen them recently. Pat.

We are on good terms with one of our local beggars, Patrick. He is always polite, helps all the grannies onto the bus and causes no trouble whatsoever. Even the 2 central small supermarkets let him shift the trolleys back into rows and 'pay' him in food. Most people are dibolically reude to him, and I have had many an argument.

Now there are a new couple, wearing expensive clothes (read Adidas tracksuits, Nike trainers) and a piece of cardboard that reads "No work, 4 children, no roof over our heads. Give money". No please even. One sits outside Lidl and the other outside the PO, since the signs are identical, I presume they are a pair. I will not give a centime, would guess they are early/mid twenties and entirely capable of working. In addition, if they have 4 kids they will not be left homeless and destitute!

I had a chat with one of the local GD today and it seems there is a task force being set up to tackle crime gangs from North Africa at the moment but they ship the beggers around the coastal region. If they get booked a couple of times some are now heading up to the U.K.

Washy,

We know him well, he bangs on our downstairs shutters....drives the wife to distraction!  He helps himself to the fruit on display outside the local shop.

I spotted him recently being beaten over the head with a shopping basket by a woman on Espéraza Sunday market!

I would love to say 'I was that woman' Esperaza, but sadly not, he probably deserved it....everyone knows him, so I guess he must pray on tourists and newcomers to the area. I love Esperaza market, sometimes expensive but so entertaining....