Divorce papers

bryansmith

I am sure that someone else must have experienced this problem.

My wife and I are both divorcees. After several house moves and clearing out neither of us can find our Divorce papers. Several items on this forum mention that divorce papers will be needed for certain instances in France.

Does anyone know where we can obtain copies of our Divorce papers please ?

thanks very much

We experienced the same problem - I found out that I probably could have got a copy from the county court in GB which issued them.

But although I couldn't find the final decree I had a copy of the decree nisi which was universally accepted. I can't guarantee that all French officials will be so lax, but if you have some relevant papers it might be worth a try.

The actual papers turned up safely, quite recently by the way.

There are document finding services available. We used one, someone from Middlesex but can't find details, to find a birth certificate. They sent it to us very quickly and the price was very reasonable.

Do a search on google.

The court where the divorce took place will provide you with a copy.  However, you might want to wait until someone asks for it, as I was previously divorced and have never been asked for mine.  I have done most things, e.g. carte de séjour, bought house, medical cards, registered car, licence for B & B etc etc and no-one has ever asked.  I am in unusual situation in that I changed my name so my marriage certificate is in different name from birth certificate (as is my passport) and although that makes most French officials look twice they have never asked for anythng relating to previous marriage.

Maggi