Buying Through An English Agency? Read This

The recent activity of the Fraude and regulatory bodies etc have prompted a change in the mode of activity between many French Immobilier and their UK Agency associates.

For example, French Immobilier 'Agence de la Tour' of Domfront (61) and Lassay Les Chateaux (53) now clearly display on the tariff displayed in their offices that sales referred from a UK agency are subject to a further charge of a further 50% of the Immobilier fee.

This serves to 'out' the frequently used explanation that the UK agency shares the fees with the French Immobilier.  Yes they do, but not before adding the 50% to the fees available to the French buyer.

This does bring many issues into question.  Has the seller, who signs a mandate to approve the amount of commission to be paid by the buyer, been given notification of this further charge.  he may think that this makes his property less attractive to the prospective buyer.

Simply ask your agency for a copy of their tariff (called a bareme) and if it includes this additional charge, think about viewing elsewhere.  Many agencies have the same properties and not all have the additional UK charge.

Lynne

This particular agency may well choose to operate in that way - it must be a fairly recent development, I can't say I have seen such a notice in its St-Hilaire-du-Harcouët (50) office. As long as the notice is clearly displayed I don't see a problem, as long as clients are made aware of it before they sign any bon de visite.

However, with many other agencies in that area, and I would imagine elsewhere, FAI (frais agences inclus) means exactly that - the displayed price includes all agency fees, and clients should not get any surprises. Adding on 50% to cover UK agency fees sounds a bit high: as far as I know most of those who advertise in Living France or on the bigger websites charge less than that, though of course that depends on the arrangement between the UK and French agencies.

"This serves to 'out' the frequently used explanation that the UK agency shares the fees with the French Immobilier.  Yes they do, but not before adding the 50% to the fees available to the French buyer."

As ever, Will has given his sensible reply to this posting.

On what actual information is your posting based?

Until a couple of years ago, the French immobilier that my wife works for as a registered agent commerciale had commercial agreements with a number of UK French property agents.

In all cases their commission was paid by the French immobilier out of their share of the overall commission as advertised within 'agency fees included' - the properties were all marketed at the same prices as other agents with the same properties.

As a company, we do not now have a lot of time for UK based French property agents, but I cannot believe that any French immobiliers are paying them an additional premium that increases the advertised price.

Regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

Believe it Bob!

I have emailed the agency for a copy. No response as yet.  I was hoping to interview the Director shortly for a publicity piece on the village and 14 July.  I think that might have gone by the by.

The advice is therefore to ask the UK based French Property Agency for a breakdown in all fees.

Does anyone know which UK based agencies are beneficiaries of the 50%mark-up with agence de le tour?

Lynne, why don't you phone up and ask them who they are associated with ? I don't think it would be seen as an odd question from an British person.

I can't help wondering if this is not a little bit of gallic cunning - nobody wants to pay 'over the odds' so many people would take the short cut and go direct, thus cutting out the Uk agency altogether. Or perhaps they want to put Uk buyers off for some other reason - too much trouble etc.

While I agree that Brits buying abroad should ask to see the tariff I think you may have hit on the exception that breaks the rule rather than unearthed some great stitch up.

This was not meant to expose a scam, merely to advise those who decide to go through a UK agency, that they could be paying considerably more commissions than those going direct to the French Immobilier.

At least this Immobilier has been 'up front' about it, although the print on the bareme could certainly have been described as 'small print'.

I have written to the agency and asked for some more info.  no response as yet.  Once I find out who are their British 'referring' agencies who take the additional 50% I will post it.

There are plenty of decent french immobiliers around, many of whom speak english who will not charge the additional tariff.  You can find them easily with a web search 'estate agent immobilier' (and then the village or area in which you are interested).  once in contact, ask for a copy of their bareme.  This is information that in not denied someone calling at their office and thus those with nothing to hide will respond accordingly.