Where did Sir Bob go to then ?

I was very disappointed to see the thread deleted, but I got a bit weary of pestering forum admin/mods in the last couple of weeks over other matters.

I still think the issue is worth talking about and hope that many of the points raised can be brought up again, and discussed in the same way as we were before. I don't know if that's a cop out.

I'll say again, a phrase which I used before but was deleted along with other (starkly contrasting) opinions, In terms of Africa at least, I prefer to view the kind of governmental aid proposed by Gordon Brown (raised by taxes) as reparation, rather than simply aid. About the concerts, I am unsure, about Bob Geldof, he is raising awareness, at the absolute minimum (and I am all in favour of that).

Flaky, perhaps. I am certain about one thing: I absolutely do not hold with the 'let them stew...' stance.

Quite Tresco: “I prefer to view the kind of governmental aid proposed by Gordon Brown (raised by taxes) as reparation, rather than simply aid”

I would agree with that, from the historical involvement of the west, from the ongoing exploitation of the developing world by the developed world, and the disruption to the world weather patterns callused by western pollution (Global chilling) causing failure of the rains and thus famine.

I agree about the debt relief, etc. but am unsure about the IFF. It seems to me that the IFF is a “fudge” that makes it look like more money is being given than really is. It would seem to be just storing problems up for the future (i.e. when aid we give goes to paying IFF draw-downs rather than getting to the country still requiring aid). It also seems a fudge to make it look like we are closer to meeting the United Nations Millennium Declaration yet without giving any extra aid in the longer term. I also imagine that the IFF would be charging interest, fees, etc. so it means more aid money going into the hands western bankers.

I also hope that whilst Africa is the current focus, that poverty in other countries around the world will not be overlooked by the “phrase of the day” and that what is being talked about for Africa will be a bit more widespread (i.e. to include other countries with similar problems outside Africa).

Ian