thank you

Steve, am listening to the Pogues at the minute while sipping a whisky, hey, how can life be more pleasant than that, hey, I ask you mate ? I have been in yr situation a few times in my 30's & 40's, and Christ, it's unpleasant, it sucks big time, but you must stick it out, join clubs, talk to us here, talk to the villageois, 'study' French, get somebody down at the local bar to teach you some right old French slang over a pastis or a partie de Tarot or pinball machine. When you're in that situation very often, little things and attentions go such a long long way, and if you're a fisherman, Carpe Diem (seize the carp).

I’m sure you have made the right decision and will succeed. In my (limited) experience most French people would love to hear you destroy their language rather than speak English. When I have my piano lessons, occasionally my teacher will use a few words of English (where she can) and I always reply in what I call French. Whilst what I say probably does not resemble the French language very well, I have found out that my efforts are really appreciated.

Ian

my partner and I have a small house near Limoges, at the moment just a holiday home...we go about 5 times a year and have french lessons here in the uk.

Last time we went some people were moving in across the road and I asked our french neighbour what was happening...'' ah les anglais'' she replied !!

''Mais madame je suis anglais'' I replied..and she said no you speak french..at which point we both fell about laughing.

My french has improved but is still terrible but a little goes a long way and is appreciated so go for it...I used to be terrified of making a mistake...now i just jump in and i get there in the end.

We go to our local bar for a drink most days we are there and now know more people in our village, than at home in the uk...it just takes a while for people to get used to you...so stick with it and best of luck.