English language adverts in French newspapers

I have just had an advert I wished to place in a French language newspaper rejected because it was in English. Their reason was one of policy - no language other than French was accepted.

The reason it was submitted in English by the way was because I wished to target my business at British residents in France.

Has anybody else experienced this?

I do advertise in The French News Christine but their target area seems to be the Dordogne - and mine was to be the Centre. As for Artisan Anglais their title is in my opinion a misnomer as they are not all Artisans - at least not in the French sense, unlike my own company that is and registered as such. I have discussed this with them quite amicably.

You've touched a raw nerve Bannon. The French are very touchy about the language used. They see that sort of thing as the thin end of the WASP wedge.

Can't say I blame them. Anyway, how many French adverts have you seen in the Evening Standard aimed at all the French in London?

I don't think it's a question of policy, but one of law. The "Loi Tourbon" expressly states that all public advertising of products and services whether of French origin or not, must be in French.

I'm sure that there must be scope for exceptions, but I don't think this would include advertising aimed exclusively at people only able to read and understand English.

Jane

Points taken and perhaps I should not have been as surprised as I was. My stamping ground for many years was South Wales where language was a touchy subject and most if not all regional papers had a bilingual content - not that I'm arguing French papers should be although I wonder what their reaction would be to Breton.

From another perspective, would or should I feel miffed if I saw a clutch of French or Arabic language adverts in an English national paper? I probably would and in saying so leave myself open for criticism.

Thanks for you input guys.

The saga continues. Had a phone call this morning from the paper in question and they say they will accept my advert if it is in both French and English. Going to cost me more money of course so a little 'financial consideration' has been agreed. Sorted. 

Sometimes the law is a bit of an ass! Was thinking of suggesting you put the ad in in both languages, as others also did, 'cos I had a feeling that was OK, but the paper has come up with that solution for you.

We had a vaguely similar experience recently - OH wanted to go jetskiing, using his RYA qualification, gained in UK. It's mandatory to have a qualification in France to hire a jetski, or pay to be chaperoned by a qualified person. So, along I went with him to translate, and the guy had a look at his qualification and announced that he didn't think it was acceptable 'cos it wasn't written in French! This guy knew what the qualification was, but according to him, they weren't supposed to accept it because, quote, "the law assumes that I can't read anything not written in French"! Strangely, the sign in the hire shop advising that a qualification was required was written in French, English and German!!

Glad you've solved your problem, albeit at an extra cost!

Jane