Last minute worries

Please can anybody help.  I am returning to the UK at the end of August (husband already gone back and left me with everything!) and I need to sort out all the untilities and haven't got a single clue what to do.  I need to cancel the water, edf, france telecom and aol.  Can anybody tell me how I do it, who I have to inform and how much notice I have to give.  Can't even think straight at the moment with two buys 4 and 2 off school for ten weeks and all the last minute worries to tie up.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Get your bills out for the EDF and France Telecom, there are numbers to call on both these bills. Then ring them both on Monday and tell them that you are cancelling and on what date. If you need to do anything else then they will tell you.

Call the Mairie about the water being turned off.

Call the Mairie about the water being turned off.

Eek, yet another local difference!    Water round here is from a company called Ruas, and if you have any problems (e.g. moving house), you call them.  No Mairie involvement at all.   As with EDF and FT, the number is on the bill.

Do I have to leave a forwarding address for EDF and FT.  Don't have a direct debit set up with them, so how can they ensure payment (not thinking of doing a runner either!!!) As with the water, we're on mains drainage and water, will that still be the mairie??

If you haven't already had a water bill, then go to the Mairie and ask it is they who deal with it, and if it isn't, who you should contact.

I always read my own meters too. We have had reversed figures being taken and I like to know what's what.

Loads of good advice, knowing how rural France is though, it will proably be totally different to all the answers you've given me.  Off to the local renault garage tomorrow for the first service on the car before the big drive home. I dare not ask any of you how much any of you have paid for a first service.  Can't wait to get back to the north of England for some tranquility. 

[quote]AOL - we phoned their Paris number one Sunday afternoon. A lovely lady cancelled everything on the spot. Possibly the most painless piece of admin we've ever had in France.[/quote]

Hi

Same for me when ADSL arrived, but I did mine over AOL IM.

Peter