France must be better

Teamedup

We saw someone we have known for years yesterday and everytime we see him he keeps saying that he cannot understand why we are returning to our native shores and France is better.

He is adamant that anywhere must be better, but especially France.

It is a strange thing really. This bloke earns in a week what most french people earn in a month. He is not brash with his money though, so not into outward signs of consumerism. However, he has a very nice life. No debts, good living conditions, can afford more or less what he wants and goes where he wants. Even has a job he likes and doesn't work silly hours to get his money either.

And he has developed tunnel vision, he sees none of his pretty good life and as far as I can see is making himself miserable with this fixation on it being bad in England and hating Tony Blair with a passion that had previously been directed towards his ex wife.

He has holidayed in France, doesn't speak french though and genuinely believes that holiday life must be France all the time.

So we have it, the british government is terrible and liars and bad and not a thought as to who runs France...... at all.

He is a suitable candidate for moving nulle part en France, meeting up with ex pats and complaining about England and saying it is better in France. He would continue to read brit papers and watch Sky and get annoyed about the UK completely ignoring all that happens in his adopted country and frankly life would be very nice for him in France.

He could ofcourse move to nulle part in the UK...... not read the papers or watch the news too often and have a rather pleasant life........ and strangely he could stay where he lives and do the same. Wean himself from the papers and news and be relaxed and happier than he is at the moment.

This bloke knows nothing of France, you ask him any day of the week the UK is bad, France is good.

Funny old life.

Most people we talk to in the UK say "what do you want to live in France for, among a load of foreigners?" But I have heard people who talk like your friend. One thing you're wrong about though - he couldn't afford to live "nulle part" in the UK. Houses in country areas are way out of the average family's price range now. By the way, how're you gannin on in the NE? Husband is going up there next month.Pat.

How am I in the NE, well we are not from the gannin bit, but we are doing very nicely thankyou.

This bloke could afford to live where he wanted that is the thing. Family left home and still that excellant salary and owns his own place which is worth a lot already. He wouldn't be interested in going down south, but he really could go anywhere else.

It just sounds like a bit of "grass is greener" complex really, people do it all the time, with jobs, lifestyle, retirement and so on. And let's face it, France is holiday France for some people all the time. Not for me, because I work, and I don't live in the country and I think I have a very similar lifestyle to my peers in the UK, but some people who contribute to this forum do seem to be on holiday mode all the time, and good luck to them!! (see, grass is greener!)

I think for many "fedup with the UK type Brits" and believe me there are plenty of them! France is seen as an 'easy' option .

Its close to the UK.

Cheaper, easier and quicker to get into than Australia or New Zealand.

Property prices still relatively cheap.

No requirement to prove that you have the means to support yourself. 

A 'love' of France doesn't necessarily have to enter the equation at all!

Better than where?  Surely it all depends upon where/how you live at present and where/how you live in France?   This "craze" in Britain for moving to France continues almost unabated yet it is so interesting house hunting in France at present and talking to Brits trying to sell up.  So many have seen that the life they dreamt of is far from what it was cracked up to be (or projected on the tele).  And even those who only retained holiday homes are bored with vacationing in the same place each year and/or disappointed with dwindling rental revenue. 

I think it's very easy and possibly quite natural to think the grass may be a bit greener elsewhere.  But in their rush to find out, a lot of people are getting stung.

M