RAIN please

Iceni

We have watched the forecast for months - rain all round, flooding in some areas but we get nothing, nowt, dry dry dry. The next three days - sunshine.

This is dire, our emergency supply is our farmers sink hole which he uses for his animals - he is very worried as this is almost gone - we are talking about make new bore holes - and of course if we do that you know what will happen - back to two years ago when we were pumping out the basement.

It will either be a dry winter in which case we are deep in the cow doo or it will rain non stop and our natural springs will return and the water mill just down the hill might even have a mill pond.

We have had two sessions without water at all and at times there is just a trickle from the tap - then the pomps go and take water from a reservior and fill up the cisterns in the hills.

Come on- send us some rain - hoping this whinge will sort it out and I will be posting in a few weeks moaning about spending all my time pumping out the basement.

We are in the hills in the Lot 46. The only reason we can grow veg is that the fosse drainage area is under the veggy plot - well the plants grow well. The weather forecast is sun sun sun.

Cold winter I can cope with as we live in one room (40 sq mtrs) till next spring when the whole barn will be finished and we have a huge log-burner in our room which gives off 14 KW and which I also cook on in the winter. It is a villager bought in France http://www.hautefortrenovation.com/villager. We will be living in this apartment each winter as I don't think heating a huge barn for 2 people is ethical or affordable.

We had to lift all the floorboards in the main barn as someone laid concrete on them - and the floor could not take it - lots of work but lots of dry oak to burn this winter if it is that cold. We also have a good woodyard near us (1 KM) and they deliver and also do rolls of oak (about a stere) for €18 which we just have to cut once and throw in the burner.

I have stored loads of food as 1 inch of snow means the steep roads are impassable and after a 'ballet dance' in my BMW which resulted in the resolution of NOT going out when it is freezing or snow is deeper than 1 in. (BMW which is elderly was OK and John who was driving is the one who has made the 'safer than sorry' rule so it must have been bad - I had my eyes closed).

We are stocking up the basement with bottled water - no choice as I don't care if we can't wash but a day without Earl Grey is a day without life .

Was up till 2 am bottling chicken in wine and beef in wine with vegetables - so yes, we do take our remoteness seriously.

OK, folks, this is what you do, next time it rains, please dehydrate and then send to us in a package and we will rehydrate and use - OK, I will take more water with it...

Since we have been back in the UK we have had little rain considering the time of year. However for the last three days it has been good rain, steady and not a deluge. We need more, I know we need more.

Les Icenis, I would be doing a rain dance, it must be awful for you.

And yes I agree completely about stocking up when one lives in the country. Something I have always taken seriously. We are within walking distance of the centre of our village with several shops, but as I slipped, in spite of my snow boots, and fell on my cocyx once and loathed to walk down if I can avoid it. It is a very painful thing to have happen.

I have done a driving stage 'neige et glace' great fun it was, but I don't go out in bad driving conditions when I don't need to. Friends live up the mountain and have quite a descent to the main road, as they both work are obliged to keep it clear. They simply use salt and it works pretty well. Like us they have pneus neige on in the winter too. A good investment if one is going to keep a car for a while.