Ecology ............

Mpprh

Something that interested me :

In the IKEA pub. blurb yesterday, they had a Xmas tree ad.

Buy the Xmas tree for Euro 18, take it back after Xmas for a refund of Euro 17.

The Euro 1 difference is donated to wetland resources, and the 2nd hand Xmas trees are ground down for compost.

I don't know the source of these trees. If it is Sweden there is a good chance they come from sustainable forestry resources.

Peter

Either in France or the UK if they do it here, I'm a good hours drive from an Ikea and for me it would not be ecologically sound for me to make two trips to Ikea, but I admire the reasoning.

My neighbour just keeps his tree in the garden for most of the year, in ever creasing sized pots until it is too big for the house. Then he plants that tree in a copse he has and starts again. Quite ecologically sound too.

Alexis !

Even Peter has joined SB in taking the proverbial at how far our nearest IKEA is from us !

We shall soon have one here and then we shall see who is laughing, when all the opening offers abound, ........... and the balls hit town

It may be sustainable forestry but I would be interested to know the transport cost in terms of fuel and co2. This comes along all the time, a green idea that isn't green at all. The best Christmas tree should be grown as near to your home as possible and supplied with it's roots to enable it to be replanted (or recycled as near to home as possible). I suppose it has a certain "city appeal"  Better than synthetic trees anyway!

Chris

Travelling back home a couple of weeks ago there was a "convoi exceptionel" holding up the traffic on the N154 between junction 12 of the A10 and Chartres.  There were three, very long and wide loads accompanied by police motorcycle outriders and the usual panoply of small vans.   I was puzzled as to what the loads were, and then realised they were the blades for one of those windmills for generating electricity.

The road is a single carriageway and the traffic facing the convoy had to pull off the road so that it could pass.  There was an enormous queue of traffic following, and one can only speculate how much "free" power has to be generated before the damage caused to the environment is wiped out.