RED electric day ?

dinks

A neighbour has been let down by the property management people he has been using for the last three years, they have packed up and gone back to the UK! He got an email from them the day before he was due to fly of to Australia to work then back to his holiday home in France for Christmas .

They the  property management people normally put his hot water and heating on 2 to 3 days before he gets hear .

So I have been asked to do it for him as I have a key .

My problem is that he has asked me not to put the water on if it’s a RED electric day ?

What is a red eclectic day or how do I find out what days are , I  think it has something to do with  electric costing more on different days  

thanks

No, all tariffs don't have red days.

The system with blue, white, and red days is called Tempo.  Each of the 3 colours has high-price and low-price hours, so there are 6 possibles prices in all.

Otherwise, you just have the Heures Pleines Heures Creuses system, where there are only 2 different prices, depending on the time of day.

[quote user="dinks"]

My problem is that he has asked me not to put the water on if it’s a RED electric day ?

What is a red eclectic day or how do I find out what days are , I  think it has something to do with  electric costing more on different days  

[/quote]

If it helps to understand why he said that, on the Tempo system 1 unit of daytime electricity costs €0.0381 on a blue day and €0.3546 on a red day i.e. 8.5 times more expensive! Put in real terms we could use a years worth of normal price electricty in the 22 red days if we didn't make a few basic savings! As of today there are 14 red days left - if history repeats itself we will have none this week while we are in France but loads in the last 2 weeks of January when we come back for longer!

The meter you get with Tempo has two signal outputs, one for water heaters, the other for room heaters. WARNING THESE ARE FOR SWITCHING ONLY, DO NOT CONNECT THE LIVES OF THE DEVICES TO THESE TERMINALS ONLY THE SWITCH SIGNAL WIRES. Each needs a special breaker (Contacteur jour/nuit 20 A - www.castorama.fr ref: 820755) that in turn controls the device just like what you have for selecting day and night if you have the two tarrif system. To connect your heaters you can either use the special signal terminal found on most heaters, just join them together then take them back to the special breaker or use a relay which is what I have done in conjunction with one of the contactors mentioned about (I use a relay because the current ratingfor the contactor is only 20A and my heating is around 30A - big house). I have also installed a central two zone timer for the heating.

Once you have connected these up you can then program the meter (it's very simple) to say which colour day they come on and then if it's either night or day rate. For example our water tanks are on all the days but just at night. Our heating is only on for blue and white days. On red days we have these super dooper parafin heaters.

So to the original poster I would sugest he gets the owner to invest in a electrician to come round and install this special breaker and connect it up to the meter and program the meter. Will probably cost around 50€ all in and saves a load of grief. After all are you supposed to go in every day to check if it's red and turn the heater off?