Re tradesmen

guern

I signed a devis with a french electrician last september

he gave me a end of october start did not arrive saw

him gave me a mid december start now january still waiting

any suggestions am i in order to employ someone else

any information appreciated

Guern.

We had to wait over a year for our plumber to start, even with a hefty advance...he was also supposed to do the electrics..after 2 years managed to get out of it and still waiting to find another...even french friends in our village have the same problem. we have problems with our roof after storm damage and it tokk 6 months to get a devis and we reccon a year if we hasstle before we get the work done...c;est la vie im afraid.

I know we get a bad press in some quarters but have you considered using a British tradesman? We normally turn up on time, complete the job in double quick time (by French standards) and, to top it all, you can actually describe in detail your exact requirements (i.e. more than one socket in every room). There has been an awful lot of slagging off in the press and on certain websites of British tradesmen operating in France lately but I think you'll find that properly registered British and Irish tradesmen will offer a more competitive option than the local trades simply because they have to in order to gain a share of the market. Make sure you check that they are registered and you should have no problems with the cowboys who certainly DO operate here (English AND French). I'm not trying to take work away from the noble French artisans who I have much respect for, just trying to make your life a bit easier...

You're not anywhere near central Manche are you Macker?  We need an electrician to put a new fuse box in our new kitchen along with all the usual sockets and switches.  Just had a quote from a registered British electrician who DIDN'T listen to a word we said when he came to do the devis, promised it by beginning of December and it arrived yesterday (dated 31st December) and it was 3,000 euros for a fuse box and one room!!!  It did include some all-singing, all-dancing system with screens and god knows what but we had already told him we didn't want that, just a plain simple electricity supply with ordinary switches that I have to turn on myself ...... surprisingly enough I can manage that!

Yeah well its not only the electritian thats hibernated in this area

but also the elusive plumber. and the invisible kitchen fitter

any kind of informatin welcome we are in ...Roz Sur Couesnon near Ponterson

Guern

I think that this is cultural thing . We've had out maison secondaire (Manche) for something like 14 years and every time we've wanted anything major doing it takes a VERY long time. I don't think there's any element of "Brits can wait", they just work on a v-e-r-y long timetable. So be warned, don't take on a house and expect trademen to come running: it will always take a long time. It took us about three months to organise a full strip, insulate and retile on our UK house, and about two years to get a new tin lid on a outbuilding in France after it blew away in the Great Gale. A mason we engaged never appeared at all.

Oooh, and by the way, new electrics for a kitchen to current rules needs many circuits (one for lights, one for general power, one 32A for the cooker whether or not you use it, one for the dishwodger, one for the washing machine, one for the freezer, possibly one for the chauffe-eau) and if you are being really up to speed, a telephone point , so don't be too surprised by high price for doing this lot, particularly if you are getting the wiring chased in in gaine.

Jim

(Oxfordshire and 50)