Appeal against Planning Permission

Monika

This is a totally paranoid and hypothetical question but could be interesting:

Our Planning Permission has been granted to extend and renovate a small barn in February.  They have started with the work on the 23rd of July (stopping on the 5th of August for their annual holidays).

Now, we have two new sets of neighbours, since the planning permission was granted. One English, who own all the land around us and one French. The English are great "nature lovers" and the French will be overlooked by us via one window in the roof. ? Could they appeal against the planning permission at this stage?

"Sleepless in Normandy"

This is my understanding of the rules:

When planning permission is granted, the Mairie puts up a public notice to that effect and you are obliged to display a huge panel at the site with information on the extent of the work and the address of the Mairie where the documents included with the planning permission application can be viewed.

Once both these requirements are complied with, third parties have two months in which to appeal against the planning permission but only on the grounds that the permission has been granted illegally i.e. that the proposed work does not comply with the POS/PLU and the Mairie should have refused it for that reason. No-one can appeal simply on the grounds that they don't like the design or would prefer it if the land wasn't built on.

Hope this helps,

Roger.

[quote]This is my understanding of the rules: When planning permission is granted, the Mairie puts up a public notice to that effect and you are obliged to display a huge panel at the site with information o...[/quote]

Thank you Roger, I am sure I have read these rules before but I could just not remember exactly how they were. I can sleep tonight!