Camino de Santiago de Compostella.

Logan

Does anyone on the forum have any personal experiences of walking the French section of the pilgrimage route to the Pyrenees? It is otherwise known as 'The Way of St. James'.  I am particulary interested in the route - Le Puy en Valay to St Jean Pied de Port. via -Conques, Figeac, Moissac and Navarrenx. Useful experiences of accomodation etc. on the route would be very helpful. Many thanks.

This chemin passes our house,  in the Gers. I think there are 3

routes, ours is from Arles. There are various books available

describing the routes and giving info on accommodation. Around here

there are gites or B&Bs and campsites every 10km or so. People

often come to our door asking where is the nearest place to stay, but I

think many people book ahead. If you come our way, call in for a bite

to eat - free. Pat.

I once stayed in an official St Jacques relais near Figeac. The pilgrims, one of whom had walked from Paris, carried a book with them which they had stamped to prove that they were actually doing the route. It was a bit like a UK Youth Hostel.

Hope this helps a bit, I'm sorry I can't remember any more details.

Hoddy

Thank you for your replies. The web link is useful. I did the route from Pyrenees to Santiago a few years ago. Wonderful and worth while experience. The French routes have been an ambition for some while now. There is nothing like first hand experience from someone who has tried it. I have the guide books etc. Just thought someone on the forum may have had a go.[:D]

We had a "pelerin" pass our gate one summer she was doing the pilgrimage from Ostend via Saintes (17), then across the Gironde and on to the Pyrenees route, we are in Charente-Maritime.

At Pons (17) there is the old hospital used by the pilgrims;  a wonderful building that has been beautifully restored and is now a Unesco World Heritage site.