Inexpensive but comfortable auberge near St Emilion?

Would love to go and visit  St Emilion at the end of September and  plan to do an over night stop near by; (we dont want to stay in the actual town but outside in a pretty country location).

Would much appreciate any independant recomendations for an auberge or similar that wont cost a fortune but will provide good breakfast, comfortable rooms and a wonderful memory to take back with us!

Hope this is not an impossible request.

C

Have a look on this forum in :

Complete France>Regions of France>Hotel Search, there is all kind to choose from and all budgets...

or ask same question in

Complete France>Regions of France>SouthWestern France.

More people on site in that part of the forum to help you.....

[quote user="Carolski"]

Would love to go and visit  St Emilion at the end of September and  plan to do an over night stop near by; (we dont want to stay in the actual town but outside in a pretty country location).

Would much appreciate any independant recomendations for an auberge or similar that wont cost a fortune but will provide good breakfast, comfortable rooms and a wonderful memory to take back with us!

[/quote]

Hi Carol

Why not stay in the town - it is really pretty and 'cos it is on the top of a hill the views of the surrounding countryside are really superb. We stayed in a super hotel which had part of the original town wall from 1565[?] as the garden wall. There are ancient gate-ways with the remains of the original wooden doors from the 16C and you just drive through them in the town - magic.

We only went to visit St Emilion 'cos my daughter said we would love it - we weren't expecting more than a tourist trap, but we were very surprised - it was splendid.

Can't remember the name of the hotel we stayed in but it was very reasonably priced and the food was exquisite. We were there in June. I will look it up when we get back from Nantes airport - going to pick up afore-mentioned daughter.

Sue

[quote user="Carolski"]

Thanks so much, that sounds wonderful, shall wait for more info with baited breath!

C

[/quote]

Hi

Sorry for delay - daughter's flight with Aer Arann was due in 21h15 Sunday evening at Nantes but it did not turn up til 2h next morning. By then we were just relieved it turned up at all. Got home at 4h30 and after a snack fell into bed at 6h this morning, We managed a few hours sleep. Been feeling like a zombie all day.

The hotel was:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g488277-d614481-Reviews-Hotel_Palais_Cardinal-Saint_Emilion_Aquitaine.html

click on : candid traveller photos for an idea - it really is excellent. Visitor reviews are lower down the main page.

Apologies - in my reply I gave the impression it was this June just gone we stayed there. I meant to say that we stayed there in the month of June, but it was a couple of years ago. From the comments of visitor 2 on the page - June 2006 - it does not seem to have changed at all. I would agree with all the nicer comments of visitor 2 - we do not eat breakfast so cannot say whether visitor 1's comments were typical re breakfast. We did not have a room with aircon, or if we did we did not know it! We had a balcony etc overlooking the garden and far views of the pool but it was not room 14 .

We found the Hotel exceptionally good and a fraction of the price of the other hotels in the town - don't know why. I would definitely like to go back there.

Sue