Did you watch 'Capital' last night?

Alexis

It was about the price of houses/flats.  They said that prices had doubled in ten years but I know that they have gone up more than that around me in Bretagne.

5000€ a m² in Paris and about half that in Lyon and Marseille.  Folly!  An absolute fortune for a tiny flat with perhaps a couple and a baby in and they can't afford to move unless they go the "rough" area of Seine-Saint Denis...the car burning capital of France.

Then there were the rich folk wanting a roof top terrace in Paris.  A small terrace can double the price even on a tiny studio!

There was the usual appaling scenes of people living in absolute squalor and the Mairie of Paris having to cough up nearly 3000€ in rent for them each month to pay the landlord for a room 15m².  Some of these landlords have several of these 'hotels' and are making a million euros profit a year!  Laws are going to be implanted/changed to stop this.

It was an interesting programme.

[quote user="Alexis"]

5000€ a m² in Paris and about half that in Lyon and Marseille.  Folly! ....................

There was the usual appaling scenes of people living in absolute squalor and the Mairie of Paris having to cough up nearly 3000€ in rent for them each month to pay the landlord for a room 15m².  Some of these landlords have several of these 'hotels' and are making a million euros profit a year!  Laws are going to be implanted/changed to stop this.

[/quote]

This sounds like a good investment.  I wish I could get rents like that in London, where the capital cost of an appartment is similar.

I saw it - a very interesting progamme. The places they mentioned where prices have increased the most per m2 were in Marseille and Nice, but in most big cities the trend is the same. The feature on building your own house as the cheapest option for becoming a homeowner was interesting. But how long do you think the new build pavillons will last? Whereas my longère (although there are of course issues of maintenance to contend with) has been standing 300 years, I don't think many of them will see out a century.

Ooh, yes.  I had forgotten about the new concrete houses.  Two have been built not far from where I live.  The original firm have been going for years and I believe they said that they sell 200,000 houses a year.

Did they say that there were 3000 firms offering to build your house for you where all you have to do is buy the land and chose the design?  Booming trade.

Regarding the profits on keeping eight people in a 20m² room for just over 3000€....I couldn't do it.  The tragic deaths of those children earlier this year may have served a purpose if the laws are changed.