windows facing on to our property

richard.w

Hello  we have bought a hose in the Charante and on the edge of our town house there is a lovely two story garage with a small courtyard it belongs to a lady who lives opposite and is separate from her house When we bought our house we were told that she could not put windows facing on to our land which covers the house on all sides but the front of the garage I have always admired it and have told the lady so  Well talking to her the other day and she has hinted she might sell me it If we bought it I wondered if It might be possible to convert it to a house and put windows facing down the garden away from our house and later on give a section of the garden that the window that they would overlook to this house and maybe sell it in a few years  My question is would you get planning permission to put windows in overlooking your own land and then could you split it form your property at a later date   thanks  Richard

[quote]Hello we have bought a hose in the Charante and on the edge of our town house there is a lovely two story garage with a small courtyard it belongs to a lady who lives opposite and is separate from he...[/quote]

I'd be rather suprised if any of us can answer that question, although I would make the point that you can get permission for alot of things, if "they" don't object!

Why not ask in your Mairie?

We're in something of a similar situation, though I won't bore you with exactly how. From what we understand so far, though we currently have no plans to split the land and sell the properties as seperate homes, there should be no problem in doing so should we decide to go along this route (though always remember the scope for ruinous capital gains tax). Essentially, we have been told, the services of a geometrist (sp?) and a notaire would be required and the fees would run to a few thousand euros. Don't take this as gospel; start with the Marie, though make it clear that you are only seeking information rather than proposing to spring into action or you will be immediately deluged with forms.