Reportage, TF1 Douce France/Sweet home

Norman

Did anybody watch this programme yesterday afternoon.... I`m afraid I had to contend with small person pretending to be a monkey and a dog yapping, but did I hear them say 500,000 northern europeans or 500,000 britons now have a property in France?

http://lachaine.tf1.fr/lachaine/programmes/info/0,,1539630,00-reportages-.html

(sorry can`t make it clickable in firefox for some reason)

I had to laugh at the old lady hoping to sell her house to an english person when she quoted an old proverb....

L'argent n'a ni odeur ni couleur.....

French friend I was watching it with had a rye smile on his face.

Norman.

I watched it and felt sorry for the older children in school.....bored stiff with the french lesson and looked really miserable.

Otherwise it just made me realise how lucky I am to be the only "Anglais" here and for miles around. I'm here because I love France, not to make it "another Britain without whatever upsets you there".

I think from figures I've heard before Norman it's 500,000 Britons.  Missed that programme unfortunately but did watch one last night on French people with run-down chateaux that they are trying to keep going.  I don't know where the first one was but it was owned by a compte and comptesse in their mid-70s who were trying to do functions and B&B to make ends meet.  The second was Chateau Canon, which I think is near Thury Harcourt in the suisse-normande.  Again the chateau was in a hell of a state but one comment made me smile when the family were discussing money-making ideas and one of the (I think) future daughters-in-law suggested chambres d'hotes because the Americans are making money doing it.

[quote user="St Amour"]  .....a compte and comptesse.......[/quote]

Un compte = an account as in purchase account, balance sheet account or bank account

Une comptesse = no such word in French

Un conte = An earl/count  also a children fairy story

Une contesse = A countesse

Un acompte = a small deposit on a purchase or other monetary transaction (see also arrhes)

[;-)]

[quote user="missyesbut"]

[quote user="St Amour"]  .....a compte and comptesse.......[/quote]

Un compte = an account as in purchase account, balance sheet account or bank account

Une comptesse = no such word in French

[;-)]

[/quote]

Yes, that was the whole point of the story, the balance sheet just wouldn't balance! [;-)]

Obviously I was having a bad French day [:$]  There again, some would say every day for me is a bad French day - at least when I speak it I seem to get understood [:P]

Speaking as an "

Un even plus grand condeScending smart ar**"  (I don't know why I deserve that, or if it was seriously meant, but what the heck) my French is also bad most days but good enough to be understood - glad it's not just my French that is imperfect, or future past pluperfect, or whatever!

Lovely!  SO sorry about the weather Dick - it's been glorious down here but starting to get cooler.

I was at a housewarming party on Sunday (70 of us) - lots of the adults and nearly ALL of the kids were swimming in the pool!  They'd set up a bar in their garden and we had lamb on a spit and we all played football 'til 7pm. Apèro time again -  then we set up our equipment and played a mini concert 'til 1am and a couple of the guests had another swim. 

I don't get TF1 or M6 'cos' I hate the reality shows but I would have liked to see the programme.  It's relatively Brit free here compared to some parts of France and the locals just shrug and accept it. 

I was talking with a lovely couple in their late 60's who are building their own house here ( I mean physically building it themselves - they are amazing!) and they told me that people driving by beep their horns and wave to them.  They have a British registered car parked in view and so cars passing on the busy road know who they are and are encouraging rather than abusive.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]We're having bangers and mash tonight. I will

probably go down the pub for a pint of bitter (real ale, of course)

later. On Friday we will have a curry, or maybe fish and chips.

Oh - and I had a bacon sandwich for breakfast.

[/quote]

Well, that's all very well and good, but I hope you're making sure that

you are getting your five portions of fruit and veg per day. And I

don't think that mash counts...does beer have any health giving

properties (please - I need an excuse)?

[quote user="Cassis"]Do five cherry tomatoes count?  Eaten at regular intervals?

[/quote]

I don't think it does. Mind you I've never been quite sure how much

does constitute a portion. I mean, I eat masses of fruit and veg, but

do things like tinned tomatoes count? I notice that baked beans have

stopped saying that they count as a portion, but do my nice unsweetened

mogettes de Vendée count???

It's a minefield I tell you.