Collecting Firewood

AnOther

What is the situation regarding collecting firewood from the woods and forests?

The house I have bought is nestled in quite a heavily wooded area where there must be masses of fallen trees and wood just laying waiting to rot away so what are the legalities of collecting some of this.

I'm no expert on woodburners either so maybe the sort of wood that is laying around is not good for burning anyway, or at least not without a good seasoning.

I have no idea to whom the woods belong, we're not in a Parc Naturel or anything like that but presumably someone owns them. I guess the Marie's office would know.

If it is forêt domaniale (publicly managed) or privately owned you are not allowed to take it without the relevant permission, even if it is lying around and rotting.  Apart from anything else it provides habitat and food for all sorts of bugs, fungi etc.

For forêt domaniale you can buy the rights of exploitation for a parcelle or part of a parcelle if you want to cut your own wood and you will be told what you can take.  But tree felling is very skilled work and should left to those who know what they are doing.

If you want to steal it, just ignore the above. [Www]

[quote user="Bugbear"]

[quote user="nufan"]As long as no one sees you, you can take all the wood you need ![:)][/quote]

But if you're on my land remember that in France, I CAN shoot you.......................

[/quote]

You would never shoot towards a R1...

Never been to that area, what are the roads like and are there many places of interest. I organise trips in France with other Triumph owners and we are always looking for new locations.

And get your bike in your avatar......................

I love going on the "mountain" (up to approx. 1300m) above St Etienne in the dept of Haute Loire, towards le puy en velay... Cannot go fast, but a smooth enjoyable ride, nice views and very few people on the road... Bit cold in the winter though, and snow from a certain height. Only bad point is that it leads to my in-laws, but you won't mind that...[;-)]

Beaujolais is great as well, nice curly roads in the vineyards... Frustrating not to stop at the numerous cellars, but worth it !!!

[quote user="Bugbear"]

From the sound of that you can expect a knock on the door next year......................can you cope with eight or ten of us.........[:D]

Ooop's I've just realised, we've hijacked this thread, apologies to the OP.

[/quote]

No problem, I'll show you around...if you can follow...

My apologies too !!!

Getting back on to thread (to save the virtual skins of the gentlemen

above, you understand) if you let it be known to the general populace

that you would be interested in hearing about any trees going gash (and

that you are prepared to both collect & disect) it is quite

extrordinary how many people want to give wood away. And it's legal.

Sometimes communes will "sell" the rights to harvest wood from communal

woodland and hedgerow, the condition being that the patch is properly

maintained, so it is worth being sure of what is expected of you. This

can be excellent value for money. Ask at your Mairie.