Is our insurance company ' taking the micky ' ?

Cal50

I am getting more and more fed up with our insurance company just seeming to increase charges and offer little ' service ' . I have been in to the office to explain that a small van we have got is now off the road completely due to it having broken down and they still want approx €150 a year for it to stand on the grass . This company has all our insurance ie house , business , health etc etc and this adds up to a nice sum for them and to add insult they give us a teashirt each year with their logo in XXXL size and we ain't that big. I guess we'll have to give notice to leave them too - Is that pretty straightforward or not ?

As I understand it (which may not be very well) in France, unlike England, you need thrid party insurance even if your vehicle is off the road.  Suppose the handbrake cable broke and your vehicle rolled off the grass (assuming there is a slope) and ran into the road and caused an accident.

Funny enough we had the same problem but with a sold car. I sold a car through Ebay France (and got a verygood, better than expected price). Sent a letter including curent insurance documentation via registered post to the MMA agent who then asked for proof of sale. Thinking myself smart I sent them the item number in Ebay. Got a cheque back for the outstanding minus 55€. Asked them why and they said it was an administrative charge. For checking on Ebay?

I have just cancelled my house insurance with the same company and have been around getting quotes. All the people I have asked wanted to see a copy of the letter cancelling the insurance plus proof I sent it. Fortunatly one thing I have learnt in France is ALWAYS send stuff registered post.