Internet based shopping consumer rights

Kittycat

About two weeks ago, we ordered and paid for on-line, some kitchen appliances from a Paris based supplier. The website indicated that all 3 products were in stock and the day following our order, we had a phone call which confirmed delivery would be by the middle of December at the latest. We have now received a letter saying that delivery will now not be until week "06/07" which we take to be mid Feb.

Whilst reasonably confident that we will eventually receive the goods, we do not want to wait that long and would like to cancel the order and buy elsewhere. Before I negotiate the language minefield with the supplier, can anyone tell me if consumer law would support my position?

Many thanks.

Hi

most shopping sites have terms & conditions listed somewhere. Many ask  you to click that you have read them before finalising the order.

Is it worth checking the site for terms & conditions ? They may be rather hidden and in very small print !

Peter

Hi,

I checked the terms and conditions and they state that if delivery doesn't take place within 30 days, they will offer a variation of the original order or a loan of a similar appliance. If neither of those options suit, they'll offer a refund within 7 days.  They don't say if you'd have to advise them of your wishes in writing or any useful details like that.   I was also curious to know what the general consumer rights are in circumstances like this. However, the problem is more or less sorted now as I rang them this morning and they told me that 2 of the 3 appliances were in stock after all, and we should hear from the delivery people soon. As for the cooker, it's not readily available in regular shops and I didn't want the hassle of cancelling this existing order then finding a similar delay wherever we order it from.   Better the devil you know.....

Another phone call and they may suddenly discover the cooker is in stock after all, hidden somewhere in the recesses of the store room.  Sounds like it is sorting out ok after all.  We bought a freezer recently and were told that we had to have the one on display which was slightly damaged, as they had none in stock. By the time we got to the checkout to pay,  they had discovered that they had 7 in stock after all !!  Two days later when it was delivered, it was a different model to the one we ordered, a more expensive model as well.  Thank you v much