La Poste - collection

I've seen my neighbours leaving out letters for collection on top of their post box.  Is this common practice?  Or are they just on freindly terms?  I don't want to leave something out to be posted if it's not the done thing!  (It's a bill, and I can't really spare the time to get out to post it today).

I have done it occasionally, but not with the previous postman, who used to be a grumpy unsociable so-and-so!

In your shoes, I would ask him/her nicely for the first few times, just to be friendly, and do remember his/her helpfulness when it comes to the end of the year...[:D]

• 2 weeks later...
Well we are very rural here and our post woman is super helpful. We donot have an official road to our property according to the previous 2 Conseils Municipals, but we found an ancient road on our property with fantastic old walls etc, and as we have a digger, we reinstated this road, it is on the plan cadastral.  So now the postie brings our post to our house as this is deemed to be a legal and insured road.....

Anyway I am getting sidetracked (sorry for the pun).  The postwoman takes letters and the money for the stamps, but I usually use the pre stamped envelopes. 

She will also take messages and eggs down to my nearest neighbour (1Km) who is next on her round.  We give the postie eggs and a big tip at Christmas when she comes round with the inevitable calendar!! I do not think she gives us this help because of this it is just accepted here that you  can send post back to the post office with the postie.

Previously, if I had any items on my prescription that the chemist could not supply, it was sent up in a bag and the post would deliver this to me, this however has been stopped (nationally I think) - transporting drugs etc.

Sorry about large print, not shouting, just no glasses.

Yes, it's accepted here that the postie will collect as well as deliver mail.  The usual procedure is to leave it in the mail box with a clothes peg clipped to the flap so she knows there is mail for collection (and in bad weather it doesn't get wet while waiting!).

[quote user="chocccie"]I've seen my neighbours leaving out letters for collection on top of their post box.  Is this common practice?  Or are they just on freindly terms?  I don't want to leave something out to be posted if it's not the done thing!  (It's a bill, and I can't really spare the time to get out to post it today).[/quote]

No it is a service they carry out.

[quote user="Washy"]Well we are very rural here and our post woman is super helpful. We donot have an official road to our property according to the previous 2 Conseils Municipals, but we found an ancient road on our property with fantastic old walls etc, and as we have a digger, we reinstated this road, it is on the plan cadastral.  So now the postie brings our post to our house as this is deemed to be a legal and insured road.....
Anyway I am getting sidetracked (sorry for the pun).  The postwoman takes letters and the money for the stamps, but I usually use the pre stamped envelopes. 
She will also take messages and eggs down to my nearest neighbour (1Km) who is next on her round.  We give the postie eggs and a big tip at Christmas when she comes round with the inevitable calendar!! I do not think she gives us this help because of this it is just accepted here that you  can send post back to the post office with the postie.
Previously, if I had any items on my prescription that the chemist could not supply, it was sent up in a bag and the post would deliver this to me, this however has been stopped (nationally I think) - transporting drugs etc.
Sorry about large print, not shouting, just no glasses.

[/quote]

Sounds just like the postie we have,stops for a chat each morning post or no post,when we go away on hols says he will keepp eye on house,and contact us if problem,yes we buy his calendar it is very good.