arrived Nov 2007....to a rather difficult Forum reception

jon

jon, I do know a bit about the catering business because my first husband was a caterer. 

Hard business, many imponderables and lots and lots of hard work.

I guess you know all about that and that's why you are enjoying yourself in France.  You'd know all the pitfalls etc and so can avoid them.

Please do put your website in your signature thingy and, if I'm ever in your neck of the woods, I'll know where to go for a good nosh.

All the best!

Just wanted to add that although what Damien Mc Crystal wrote about was an incorrect assumption.....and he should have printed an apology...I still understand the hawty attitide of the journalists...because in London they are Gods.He, did get it wrong as my move was a calculated and intelligent way of  landing very happilly on my feet...and on different soil where I could prepare gently for old age.My lovely house, parc,fruits and vegetables and a gentle waive of very contented and appreciative guests.Most of this was missing in London.But for those in the catering proffeso who are not billionaires[bank style and not  relying upon monopoly money or contributions from Jack on the beanstalk] there may be a large price for compaclainancy.The number of reatuuarants with many empty tables is increasing[restaurants from Michelin stared to red cafes.....and rents,rates and all overheads are increasing by the moment as fear looms through the pages read every sunday afternoon in central London.I am so glad that I made the right decision.....and sold when the going was good and look out of the window at the vines.....ready for the vandage and to grace those London restaurant tables in a few years time.

[quote user="jon"]Just wanted to add that although what Damien Mc Crystal wrote about was an incorrect assumption.....and he should have printed an apology...I still understand the hawty attitide of the journalists...because in London they are Gods.He, did get it wrong as my move was a calculated and intelligent way of  landing very happilly on my feet...and on different soil where I could prepare gently for old age.My lovely house, parc,fruits and vegetables and a gentle waive of very contented and appreciative guests.Most of this was missing in London.But for those in the catering proffeso who are not billionaires[bank style and not  relying upon monopoly money or contributions from Jack on the beanstalk] there may be a large price for compaclainancy.The number of reatuuarants with many empty tables is increasing[restaurants from Michelin stared to red cafes.....and rents,rates and all overheads are increasing by the moment as fear looms through the pages read every sunday afternoon in central London.I am so glad that I made the right decision.....and sold when the going was good and look out of the window at the vines.....ready for the vandage and to grace those London restaurant tables in a few years time.[/quote]

Jolly good - glad you got out at the right time for you.  Not all journos are bad, but  yes, there are those who will pursue a "clever" line rather than the truth. 

Power to your elbow, keep the chips in the pan.  [:)]

Not all Journos are bad...and Damien is not bad.....but they all seems to be looking for a story which takes you on the"THE DARK SIDE OF THE TRACKS...MISERY....DOOM AND GLOOM" trying to get a journalist interested in our project is mighty hard!Of  course there are millions of "special guest houses" but I have added extra caviets and there are interesting additions to the package.Or do they have to be comissoned...ie paid a few thousand pounds for a two day visit, wined and dined....for the possiblity of 5 lines in a trade jopurnal!Or is the only good news the boreing old news of how to spend 5 pounds in Sainsburies or how to make a fool out of a fellow chef on a TV screen in front of an audience.

Sorry, my error. I can't remember Damien writing anything negative about the Chimon other than it was one of many casualties back in 2003. This was after the owner had said she had 'changed the concept' and 'lowered the charges' which I take it in plain English means the menu was changed and the prices dropped. Perhaps for the owner it was a vision to far (quote "we started to be ourselves and let our personality project through the cooking and the decor") and a touch of reality was needed.

As I am sure, Jon, you know there are many visionaries out there but, like with many of them, creativity and profitability do not always go hand in hand. As a friend of mine once said, and he was directly responsible (i.e. Financial Director) of several premier hotels in London, many elsewhere in the UK along with a few hundred pubs, "you be creative but we will tell you how much you can spend and leave the accounts to us".

To answer a question, perhaps you asked a few posts back, "Are you related to Damien?" No I am not but I might know him [;-)]

Do you know Rosamond ?