Emigrating made simple

cookehouse

Did not know which section to put this in as it covers really all of them. Our 8 year plan has just been brought forward by company rationalisation Geeked [8-|](redundancy is such a depressing word). Our plans have therefore moved from leisurely to hurried. Does anyone know of an all encompacing book on tying up loose ends in the UK and registering / tax changing / and the million and one things I am sure we need to do before making the final move.

yours rather nervously

Cookehouse 

Only the obvious one as a starting point; "Living & Working in France" by David Hampshire published by Survival Books. You can pick it up in most bookshops or via the Living France magazine.

It is a very good book and reasonably up to date on most things. It at least helps to get you started and points you in the right direction for further advice.

Hope this helps and good luck

Gabe

The David Hampshire book is really THE starting point - though there are many others, but this one has stood the test of time, and is updated regularly. For those who have commented on this forum that it is out of date - of course ANY book of this nature is - the time to check research and get into publication schedules necessitates this. I speak as a professional librarian - you can assume that a book with a date of 2006, was researched during 2005, and sometimes 2004! That is the time delay.

However - I would say to all those who post - how do I? - questions on the various forums - you will find many of the initial answers to those types of questions in this book - and anyone contemplating moving to France should first get this book and (as my father used to tell me) read, learn and inwardly digest it!! It will answer possibly 80% of your initial questions - and help you to decide whether you can cope with the French way of doing things.

By the time we bought our house last year (after more than 5 years research and planning) there was very little that I hadn't discovered just by being prepared to read around the subject, and David Hampshire is still referred to on a regular basis to check things when they come up for the first time (as they always do in a new situation).