French and British postal systems.....

time for privatization? Both plans seem to be attracting the opposition of unions and MP's, but are they just the usual bunch of troublemakers?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/one-hundred-mps-to-rebel-over-sale-of-royal-mail-1212641.html

(I quote the UK article only but it is similar in France). The question is: Do we need the Post Office in its present form?

No we don't !

Most of the work I do for this British company is to do with retail outlets that are situated in France.  Most of the work is dealt with Email/phonecall/internet but some of it (about 30%) relies on both countries postal systems and both are just as SSSSLOOOOOOWWWW as each other to the point that over the Xmas period (certainly since the beginning of December - ruddy Xmas cards!) mail that would have taken at the most one week to reach UK or to reach France at any other normal time, has taken well over 3 weeks in the hands of these 'governements bodies'. But the same mailings with any other private consortium channels went quicker whether I sent things over to France or things came from France. So I say : Privatise the British and the French postal system and let them get their behinds roasted by the like of TNT or UP and things might move a little faster...

privatisation, nationalisation - balderdash. Who owns it makes no difference as long as they are prepared to put pressure on for innovation and efficiency, and then be prepared to back it up with investment.

But who runs it ...?

Meanwhile. Was it  nationalised banks that led us into world crisis ?

John

If privatised, who will deliver to the places that the likes of DHL, TNT won't deliver to without additional cost (countryside , Scotish Islands Northern Ireland), and also check the price for posting a letter for example a signed for letter to france with tracking number by the UK post office is under a fiver and with DHL (who where the cheapest I could find) was a fraction under £20, so don't be too hasty in doing away the UK post, and yes we do run a village post office  and store which if we used the space for something else would create more profit for us but we don't do as we like to provide a service.

The service levels achieved are abysmal simply because the numbers don't stack up.

Too many ineffectual managers and not enough well paid, well equipped and motivated staff doing the job.

Run these businesses (Nationalised or not) like businesses with an awareness of  risk and reward along with the cost of failure.

The wooly heads will go, the businesses will thrive and service levels should mirror those of the others ie DHL UPS et al. The difference being that if remaining Nationalised, we the share holders would expect our dividend in the form of discounts. Therefore the Nationalised Industries should be able to not only compete on service but be cheaper.

Alternatives ?

I receive very little sent by Post Office/La Poste that could not be sent by pc except a few seasonal gifts that I neither want nor need. Those without a pc at home will be able to use those in the schools and libraries, at present switched off for most of the week. Plus the added bonus of fuel and therefore planet saving.

John