Inviting our French neighbours to England

We have invited our neighbours in France next to our holiday home to England to stay with us for the weekend. Panic - will they expect us to pay their fare, or will it be assumed that they will pay? We are planning to look after them when they are here - meals out etc. Can anybody help? Thanks!

If they hang onto the back axle of a banana lorry they may get free transportation!

Why not simply ask them what arrangements they have made to get there and do they need maps etc.

When they say that they thought they were going with you I would suggest that you may just have somewhere you need to go en-route which would preclude this, ie. staying with Aunt Mildred in Stornoway for a couple of nights.

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

If they hang onto the back axle of a banana lorry they may get free transportation!

Why not simply ask them what arrangements they have made to get there and do they need maps etc.

When they say that they thought they were going with you I would suggest that you may just have somewhere you need to go en-route which would preclude this, ie. staying with Aunt Mildred in Stornoway for a couple of nights.

[/quote]

Problem is finding an axle which is not already taken.  [Www]

It would be wise to offer to  help them with their ferry booking, explain what is the cheapest/quickest option etc, if its their first time they could get caught out, it will also be a chance to see if they really are expecting you to pay, - I would! - pay that is[:)]

Edit. Another tip, Make sure that all meals are taken at the usual time, on the dot, without even 5 minutes delay and crucially with your watch set to French time.

9 out of 10 French people that I have entertained have steadfastly refused to change the time on their watches, even those regular travellers that do still seem to have stomachs that take at least 2 weeks to adjust.

we had a very successful visit from our french neighbours at easter this year.  We invited them to stay but they made all their own arrangements, they did ask which ferry we used etc, and best crossing times, i did pay alittle if i took them somewhere, for example the bus tickets to get into oxford, before they left they insisted on giving me some eruos towards everything, it was all very civalized. The best bit was we all had a really good time and i cant wait to get back to france soon.