Tax d'hab/TV licence

Jack_Bruce

We have two houses in France, and last year the Tax d'hab included the TV licence charge for one house and did not include it for the other.  We wrote to the Bellac office and explained that although there was an aerial, we did not actually have a television.  We also paid the tax d’hab bill, less the amount of the television licence, and presumably that has been accepted for 2005.  We do not have a television as the other house, so had no problem there.

However, we have now received a form for each property in which we are required to declare that there is no aerial, nor other similar arrangement.  Unfortunately, both houses have aerials fixed to the chimney in each case, and far too high up to be able to remove them (although technically it’s too late now for this year anyway).  Does this mean that we will have to pay for two television licences, when we have no television at all?

The third declaration on the form seems to indicate that you can pay for a TV licence at your principal residence, with the implication that if you pay for it once, you will not have to pay again.  Would it be possible, legally, to use this option and choose one of the houses for the licence, rather than having to pay for two?

It is very irritating to think we might have to pay for something that we can’t actually use, but to have to pay for it twice …..!!!

Has anyone else been in this situation of being charged for a television licence because they have an aerial?  If so, did you manage to persuade the authorities not to make the charge, and how?  Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Pat and Jack

Pat and Jack

Are you sure that they're asking about an aerial? I vaguely remember seeing on a form last year the phrase poste recepteur and thinking that it meant aerial. I managed to convince myself after consulting a dictionary that it actually means television set. I obviously stand to be corrected but I hope that I'm right cos I said that we don't have one.

Regards

Mike

Surely the poste récepteur is the set. A poste emetteur is a transmitter, not an aerial.

We got a similar letter, we were only to reply if we don't have a TV, and therefore will not be charged in error. The letter says that if our main or secondary residence has a TV we should not return the letter:

"Si votre résidence principale ou secondaire est équipée d'un poste récepteur de télévision ou d'un dispositif assimilé, ne renvoyez pas ce document."

principale OU secondaire, not ET.

I found this on a website

"Le «dispositif assimilé» ne manque pas de

retenir l'attention ; c'est celui qui «permet la réception de la

télévision pour un usage privatif »."

So - that means anything which allows for TV reception, presumably cable or satellite. I guess.

If you want a copy of the letter I'll scan ours and send it, but I imagine they are particular to the commune.

I suspect that a "dispositif assimilé" is intended to cover, for example, a TV card fitted to a computer which allows reception and indeed recording of TV. 

French standard cards are sold in all the hypermarkets, bricolage etc.  I believe that the sellers are supposed to notify the authorities in the same way that they are supposed to do so with TVs proper.

In the main French TV is so awful and we get enough British TV in the UK so can see no point in going to France to get more UK TV there.

We have had an enquiry from the powers that be as to whether we have a TV for the last 8 or 9 years and simply reply "NO". Still it is a nuisance to have to keep telling them that, especially when they don't provided an SAE!

Possibly a useless addition to this thread but it sounds like the situation that pertains in Ireland. If you have the means to receive televisual transmissions then you're liable for the TV licence. This includes, for instance, having a tv and vcr/dvd player in the workplace for showing training videos etc.

Now that Jack_Bruce's question has been answered can I piggy back this thread and ask another slightly related question? My wife has a French invalidity card which we think exempts the house from having a TV licence. This year will be our first for paying tax d'hab and we would like to let whoever initiates the bill know that she has the card rather than try and rectify a situation after the bill has been issued. Does anyone know who we should go to see?

Benjamin