tenants

Frank

Hi All, sorry if this has already been covered, but I can't find any info. We have been approached by a French neighbour with regards to a tenanted letin one of our gites for about six to eight months whilst her friends have a house built. Where do we stand with regards to the legislation around tenants, is it complicated?? I have heard tenants have rights for around three years, is this correct?? Would we be better advised to say to the people, we do not have 'tenants', but you can have a long term holiday let via the gite?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am sure you will all agree, the money generated would be very nice, thankyou very much[:D] Thanks in advance for any helpful advice

kimberley

Get proper legal advice from a notaire on lettings in france. There are so many loopholes to get people out(not in winter,not with babies etc) that you could end up with them for years and years if they so wish. It would be worth paying to have it sorted properly to save you losing a lot of money inthe long run.

You are right, a long term let could mean that you are stuck with your tennants for three years should they choose to stay. A holiday let would be ok but must be for no more than six months. If you allow it to continue beyond that period then it could automatically become a long term let. It could, however, be very awkward for you to ask them to leave if their house isn't ready (which it almost certainly won't be if it goes like everything else in France) after six months. My advice would be to decline the offer as politely as you can, unless you get on really well with them and you feel they would be sympathetic to your situation and not take advantage.