SUPERMARKETS AND PEOPLE'S HEALTH

Georgina

I have come to the conclusion recently that certain supermarkets do not give a hoot about health and safety, else they just get away with it.  Recently a large supermarket chain near us got rid of its butcher.  I have told them several times about things out of date (just last week milk was five days out) but today I saw New Zealand lamb with a consumation date of January 2010, yes okay you might say, but it was stored in the open fridge and had obviously defrosted.  Anyone buying this is likely to get serious food poisoning.  I pointed it out to the young lady but she just said it was not her department and not her responsibility.  When I suggested it was dangerous and she might like to tell someone, she looked at me like I was a mad foreigner. (What do I know my accent is terrible).[:)]

So is there an agency I could call.  I am disgusted at their lack of care for people's health.

I know they have been fined before this chain.

Before you make your concerns official, I would suggest you speak with the customer service dept at the supermarket or email their head office.

Tell then you have noticed several instances of out-of-date items on sale and give them the opportunity to tighten their procedures.

A lot of the people on the floor are temps rather than shop employees and most couldn't care less.

Should you still want to make an official complaint, the agency to contact is the DDASS.