Dordogne

I have booke a week in a villa in Carcassonne in August but we are travelling down the week befoe and would like to visit the Dordogne area , can anyone suggest somewhere ( town or city ) that will give us the flavour of the Dordogne that is accessable by rail

Baz

Hi

Before Dog replies "dont bother" can I suggest that you visit Perigreux and visit the old part of the city.

I think that you will have a wonderful time in your Carcassonne villa  with the sun and a visit to the old part of the city and seeing the vineyards etc but I believe that you will only get the full flavour of the area if you are mobile and visit the more remote parts of the area.

Can I liken your question to asking if a visit to Buxton, which itself is interesting, is the same as getting the full beauty if the Peak District? The answer is no. You really need to be mobile and see the wonderful sights of the surrounding area in all its glory.

I personally believe that the area around Carcassonne is not at wonderful as the area of the Dordogne with all its old villages and  attractions and would therefore suggest that after your taster of SW France that you have another visit taking in the beauties of the Dordogne. Like us, you may become addicted.

Not very constructive.

Dordogne should be enjoyed by a many people as possible. Not just those who enjoy surviving -20 degree temperatures in the winter!!

I personally prefer Sarlat out of season, for example,  but it still is a beautiful place during high season.

NB When we first bought our house we had lunch in our nearest restaurant and the french people on the next table were very surprised that there were English people there  i.e. not Eymet. Visiting Eymet, however, does give a good taste of the attraction of the area.

That is not what I was going to say.... The guy is from York with a rich history of railways - he likes travelling by train and Perigueux is the place where trains were manufactured in the region and has a massive railroad works. So he may like to visit.

Perigueux is interesting but not the best of the Dordogne. The Dordogne is not about towns but big rivers, history, forests, architecture, its people and food.

It would seem the English ghetoes are Eymet and Riberac - there must be some redeeming factors to the places but I have never seen them.

Have to agree with Dog. Perigueux is a fantastic town to visit with plenty to see, but the department is all about the countryside.

The Dordogne valley and along the Vezere river are the real places that people should see.