Few books to give away

I am now starting to pack up ready to leave in less than 4 weeks.  I am a hoarder, especially of books - don't know why but I have always regarded even the most mundane volume as something to be treasured but of course, especially in this age of technology, they are not at all precious.  Anyway, I just found yet another little hoard and decided that enough is absolutely enough and they will be off to the dechetterie but thought I would give them a week or so stay of execution just in case anyone on here both lives near enough to me to collect and is interested in them.  I am afraid that they are old (30 odd years or so) but in no way old enough to be valuable.  I put pics of some on photobucket and here is the link.  http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h15/miggimeggi/Books%20to%20give%20away/  There are also a bunch of cookery books, same sort of age.  I have already packed them but could probably find them if anyone was interested.

If anyone is interested and lives around Chateauroux or La Chatre (Dept 36), I am about half-way between the two, please PM me. 

Pity that we are so far apart, there are some books there that if I saw in a charity shop or boot sale (where I get all my books) I would think that I had gone to heaven!

The Da Vinci one, The Chris Bonnington one, all of those regarding the wildlife etc of South Africa, all of the diving, snorkelling and life saving ones, the bricklaying one etc etc.

Maybe I could pay for you to send some by them by La Poste under a certain weight?

Where are you moving back to in the UK? I make frequent trips but I guess the aim is to avoid dragging hoarded books etc back and forth.

[quote user="Megan le Fey"]What's an Emmaus please Pickles?[/quote]

OOOPS, Sorry, I should have explained. Have a look at their UK site for a good explanation of what they do. Basically it is a charity set up just after the Second World War by Abbé Pierre (have a look at the French Emmaus website for the history) to help mainly homeless people to reintegrate into society, giving them accommodation and work. The Emmaus depots repair and resell donated articles - clothes, furniture, books etc. From what I have seen of Emmaus and its work, they seem very worthwhile.

The one at Chateauroux is on the east side of the town: see this google page

Regards

Pickles

Are you sure that there is no-one near you who could take them, not necessarily on this forum.

As a retired librarian I too have the same problem of too many books, but never would I give them to the dechetterie - smacks too much to me of those "book-burning" exercises you read about in the history books.  If needed I would taken them back to the UK and give them to charity shops there, but Emmaus or some other charity would also do.

Hi,

Thank you Pickles, I deserve a smack on the wrist for not looking it up myself. My only excuse – I am just generally a bit distracted lately. Emmaus sounds good as a last resort and perhaps they will take a cooker which I also must get rid of, and then there are all those things which are useless to take back to UK., ie telephones, a load of electricial plugs, sockets, extensions, telephone plugs etc. The only thing about the books and Emmaus – is anyone going to want to buy books from there in English?

Chancer, perhaps we can make a plan about posting some to you – I would rather they went to someone who wanted them or else to one of those charity bookstalls, pref. for animals like the book sales that Phoenix do. Unfortunately, Phoenix are too far from me. We are going to South Wales but our stuff is going into storage for 6 months so when we go, I have to pack Frank & me plus a Great Dane and a German Shepherd and suitcases and just too much other stuff to have room to take them with us.

I know just what you mean Judith. I also was a librarian for a while 'tho it was a reference library at the British High Commission in Nairobi. You get a kind of respect for books, any books, and it is sad to just chuck them away. Unfortunately, I suspect that the “man with a van” is going to have less room in it than he claims and so I am having to whittle down all the stuff I have to be sure that I don't have to chuck away stuff that I really want on moving day.

[quote user="Megan le Fey"]Emmaus sounds good as a last resort and perhaps they will take a cooker which I also must get rid of, and then there are all those things which are useless to take back to UK., ie telephones, a load of electricial plugs, sockets, extensions, telephone plugs etc.[/quote]

They will take pretty much anything. If you have a lot of stuff, most of the Emmaus places have access to a van and will come and collect the stuff.

[quote user="Megan le Fey"]The only thing about the books and Emmaus – is anyone going to want to buy books from there in English?[/quote]

You'd be surprised ... but yes, people do buy English books there.

Regards

Pickles

Anne, can't help with the books, but just wanted to say that I have been thinking about you lately as I saw your request not long ago about moving your stuff back.

You are someone very dear to me on this forum, a sort of madame courage.  I have always admired your way of dealing with things and difficult situations, never complaining, just getting on with it.  You have had a very rich life (also shown by all the books!) which makes you such a "rich" person and I hope all goes well for you and especially that you will keep in touch with us on here once you are settled.

Christine xxx