Do I need to fall in love?

mint

"I am rapidly revising my criteria.  I think I'll buy another place

in the country but within walking or cycling distance to amenities.

After all, what I most like is avoiding people (especially unwelcome visitors), walking my dog and pottering around the garden.

A place where people would find it awkward to just "drop in" would be fantastic."

Just be aware that empty spaces on the edge of some villages can sometimes be developed into small housing estates of uninteresting little boxes.[:(]

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard, "in the middle of nowhere" sounds very good at the moment.  Going to have new neighbours this weekend and OH is outside setting out our boundaries (knew his surveying skills would come in useful one day!)

Thank you, Fay!

Cendrillon, a good reminder indeed.  My apologies if you live in one of these "developments" that Cendrillon is warning me about.  Of course, your house isn't on a "development"............it's just everyone else's![:D]

BTW, only buying at the moment; not intending to sell just yet!

Just when a woman thinks she's brought her family up she becomes a grandparent and it starts all over again. [:)]
Finding a new retirement home which is an incentive for all the family to visit with easy links and where grandchildren find a specially happy place to be for more than a day or two, is simple in a small seaside town (like Weymouth); whether for a day out or all Summer Hol.[:D]

The latest............I am saddened (although I'm likely to be a beneficiary) by the number of Brits that just need to go back to the UK.

One case of a widow now on her own with large grounds, one of a couple having had to leave France through lack of work, one where the husband is ill and one where the wife is ill.  So very, very distressing............and, believe me, they are practically giving their properties away.

I don't really feel like a vulture because I think that if I don't buy their houses, they'll be in even more of a pickle.

But I do find it inexpressibly sad and I wish I could buy 4 or 5 houses instead of only one.

Anway, off to the Loire Atlantique area to see a house tomorrow.  Would LOVE to fall in love on Tuesday when I see it.............

Life can be so harsh, don't you think?[+o(]

JJ, yes, I understand what you're saying.  It's not so much that we want 2 properties, it's about wanting to do something with the sterling and trying to buy whilst we can still afford to.

Believe me, the present property will be on the market and, if we can get a nice lot of euros for it, we might even manage to carry on living in the Hexagon!

[quote user="sweet 17"]

The latest............I am saddened (although I'm likely to be a beneficiary) by the number of Brits that just need to go back to the UK.

One case of a widow now on her own with large grounds, one of a couple having had to leave France through lack of work, one where the husband is ill and one where the wife is ill.  So very, very distressing............and, believe me, they are practically giving their properties away.

I don't really feel like a vulture because I think that if I don't buy their houses, they'll be in even more of a pickle.

But I do find it inexpressibly sad and I wish I could buy 4 or 5 houses instead of only one.

Anway, off to the Loire Atlantique area to see a house tomorrow.  Would LOVE to fall in love on Tuesday when I see it.............

Life can be so harsh, don't you think?[+o(]

[/quote]

I'm guessing that many of those selling will have bought when the exchange rate was 1.5 to 1.7 so what they lose on a reduced price they gain on conversion.  Even if they are selling in sterling the outcome will be the same.

Well, guys, here I am, back in 17. 

And, it certainly wasn't love at first sight, far from it, but my interest has been, shall we say, "aroused"?

I can see the warts and, believe me, ALL the disadvantages.  Still, I could see myself living there and I think we'll rub along just fine.

So, does that qualify?  Is it OK to go ahead?  After all, when you got married, there WERE no guarantees, were there?  You just went on and did the deed and hoped for the best, right?

Therefore, why on earth should you expect a house to promise more than a person?[8-)]

Wools, will PM you soon.

JJ, no, not reassuringly expensive; in fact, a real mark down bargain![:P]

Neighbourhood definitely poshish, judging by some of the money that's been put into the area.

Family?  What, this isn't a Jane Austen novel, you know, JJ, so I don't bloody know what sort of family, for goodness sake!

In fact, it's all a bit low key and not at all your usual Sweet fare but, guess what, I must be lowering my sights somewhat these days![:D][:P]

[quote user="just john "]Not gone for a bit of rough eh Sweets?[:P], city girl, farming stock, landed gentry? Will she scrub up? C'mon show us her pics[6]

[/quote]

LOL, JJ, that's no way to talk about poor Sweet is it?

Anyway, if you're talking about the house, I don't know yet if my offer, when made, will be accepted and, more importantly, whether I could expect any encumbrances.

First signs are good but, are they to be trusted?

Back to guarantees, I guess.  There just ain't no guarantees in life, are there?

Benjamin Franklin said "but in the world nothing can be said to be certain except death and taxes."
In the absence of the full sp, it's back to the tried mantra; Location, accommodation, value, potential, love . . .
you need at least three ticks, (first three = head, last three = heart.)[:)] 

[quote user="just john "]In the absence of the full sp, it's back to the tried mantra; Location, accommodation, value, potential, love . . .
[/quote]

Hadn't seen it quite like that, JJ, but it makes mighty sense to me.  I reckon that love is like the famed "Missing Link":  without it, the human race would not exist, would it, and we'd still all be orang utans or whatever large apes there are out there!

GG, I ain't excited yet.  You should see the list of pitfalls dear old Wooly's sent me to mug up on:  he's right of course but he sounds so much like the OH that I think they have been in secret communication with each other!

I'm pretty hard-headed myself but, blimey, these men are numbskulls![+o(]

Buying and selling houses is so difficult and so expensive in France that you really must adore the house you acquire here.

If you fall in love with a house and manage to buy it, whether in the UK or France, I don't think that you ever regret it, even if it costs you a lot to renovate - except the day when eventually you have to leave it.

Following on from my last post, a couple of years ago, I had to lock the door for the last time of a house where I was born and which had been in my family since it was built at the turn of the 20th century.  It was a sad day - not quite like a bereavement but sad nevertheless.

Cathy, where on earth have you been?  I thought you'd got fed-up with us wittering on here and left us for good!

It's sad, what you've said about leaving the house that you love.  I guess I'm lucky that I've always gone on to love one better (well, perhaps not always).

Circumstances, etc can be very tricky and I do feel sorry for people leaving houses that they can't bear to leave.

Anyway, I hope you and yours are keeping well?