Air mail labels no longer needed?

Judith

Sorry, cannot find a more appropriate place for this ....

Today I was told (by other English) that you no longer need to send letters with an airmail sticker on as they all go airmail and putting one on might delay it.

Does anyone know if there is any truth in this, or is it another urban rumour.

Today I asked for more labels at the post office, and the fonctionnaire (not known for her politesse) just said - "non"  Then I had the conversation above.  So now I ask myself, was our darling fonctionnaire being her usual unhelpful self, and could not be bothered, or is it indeed true that you don't need them any more?  She did not say - not needed anymore, my French is certainly up to understanding that one!  Just "non".

[quote user="Loiseau"]A (friendly) post office clerk told me recently that they were not needed. The blue stamp is enough to alert sorters to the fact it's airmail apparently.

Angela[/quote]

But not every letter has a blue stamp - mine today, for example as it was overweight.  But I get the gist.

It would be rather nice to know something officially!

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]Funnily enough, our local Poste always gives us blue 'par avion' labels without being asked when we buy stamps for our UK mail.[/quote]

So I am not the only once confused or unknowing!  If La Poste doesn't know, what chance have we?

I buy all my stamps off the "La poste" internet site and apart from the price we have noticed no difference in the actual stamps for France the UK or Japan. All our letters, including those to Japan always get there very quickly so I would say there is definitely no need for air mail stickers.