Help with IELTS examination

Evianers

My 20 year old French student is disenchanged with his university in Quebec and now wishes to continue his studies at a music school in London [Music Production that is, not classical music]. He has been told that he must pass at least level 5.5 of the IELTS examination before being accepted.

Has anyone any experience of this please, and if so, any tips they can impart. The request is somewhat urgent in that he returns home mid-December, has intensive lessons with me during December and January and hopes to enrol in the school in Fulham by 20 January. His English is reasonably fluent. Thank you in advance.

I've taught IELTS fairly often to students preparing for the exam. I assume that your student will be required to sit the academic IELTS as it's for music school. There are 2 types of IELTS exam, and there's a non-academic one demanded by some countries - Australia and Canada for example - as part of the visa requirement.

IMO (and it is just my opinion) IELTS is very much one of those exams where you have to learn how to pass the exam as, particularly with the academic version, the requirements are quite specific. One element requires the candidate to be able to interpret graphs and tables, for example, and to write a clear interpretation of the data. The reading part of the paper can also be quite challenging because of the nature of the chosen reading texts.

The speaking exam is a little more straightforward, providing the student is able to quickly prepare something on the prescribed topic, but preparation time is very short.

There's a wealth of IELTS preparation material on the internet and Cambridge regularly publish workbooks of past papers for practice.

It's not unknown for students to need to take the exam more than once to get the desired level, but that is, as I said earlier, more about learning to pass the exam rather than a true indication of their ability.

A 5.5 IELTS score is relatively low as a requirement. Most Universities seem to ask for a score of 6.5-7.5

If I can help further, drop me a pm.