Those Doomsday Preppers

idun

Yesterday my son put Doomsday Preppers on tv and I found it rather fascinating. I am not so concerned about wars or pandemics etc, so would never go to those extremes of hoarding water and food etc.

Still, I do understand these folks to some extent. We used to get regular power cuts in my french village and we would get heavy snow from time to time too. So I ended up planning for these eventualities and the habit has remained with me. With winter on it's way, I like my larder filled, freezer filled, plenty of wood to burn, candles, just in case and even now we have a gas cooker that runs off bottled gas. So whatever happens we can keep warm and eat and have light.

I suppose that I will always be like this now, just a habit of stocking up for winter, but it surely isn't a bad habit, or is it?

The people who lived in my house before me were a crazy German couple who were quite into the whole doomsday thing. Despite naming their vehicle "Nibiru" after the mystery planetoid that might collide with earth, they believed more in an end to civilisation via social anarchy and a collapse of the banking system.

They moved to the house as it is quite remote in order to be away from cities as they believed cities would fall into chaos as utilities failed and shops were looted. They planned to raise their own animals and grow veg to sustain themselves. Over the time I knew them they bought a lot of tinned goods, a basic diesel car they could repair themselves and started stockpiling diesel in the garage.

They took regular trips to a town further south, wos name I cant remember - seemingly its well known by cultists and general wierdos as seemingly when the end comes, this town will be one of the few places to survive for whatever reason.

They gave it all up a few years back and moved back to Germany - perhaps The End has been postponed?

Its this place :http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/20/bugarach-france-mayan-apocalypse_n_2164479.html

Being raised during rationing  my mother was in the habit of  always buying a 2lb bag of sugar when she did the weekend shop. When she passed away and we  cleared out the pantry  we found  loads of "solid " bags of sugar ...   It was somthing she never seemed to get over  The fear of one day we would again have rationing .

The show cracks me up. Latest one I saw was with a bunch of hippies. When the experts highlighted their weakness as being that they are unable to defend themselves, their response was that they were on a different plane so it won't affect them.

Lol try telling that to an AK67 pointed to your head!

I could never live like that, fearful of what one possible future might bring. If it happens, it happens and no amount of preparing will change anything for the long term. I'd rather focus on what actually is. But good luck to them.

I think there is a world of difference in being prudent as Idun obviously is and being a Doomsday Nutter.  Just yesterday I heard a light-hearted but quite intelligent discussion on car radio about the world ending on 21/12 (the Mayan calendar thing).and that there is no asteroid or similar coming to wipe us all out as we would have seen it by now. Ah yes, says one of them, but the Doom prophets say it's an invisible asteroid!  I laughed so hard that as I got out of my car I dropped my keys in a puddle, divine retribution?

[quote user="Ivor Nidea"]

If and when the end comes I wouldn't want to be one of the survivors.

Imagine storing all the stuff neccesary to survive, then emerging from your shelter after letting the dust settle only to find all of those sensible people (nutters) were the only ones left.

[/quote]

And you must not forget to have black plastic bags to put the bodies in, labels and string to seal and mark them as to who is inside. Sealing them in bags is because of all the flies. So the question is of course, what do the flies know that we don't, how comes they get survive?