Confused by EDF

We keep getting high bills for our old house, now empty. Every time, I phone EDF and give them a meter reading. I was told there is no way they can send a realistic bill. Oddly enough, the bill for the house we are living in is over 200 euros less than for the empty one so they can adjust that one.

Last week I phoned and was told the only way is to have a direct debit for 21 euros a month. The man took my bank details and said he would email a code number ('So someone else won't pay your bill' - I wish!) The email didn't arrive while I was on the phone to him, I told him they are not always instantaneous, and later I got 2 emails, so 2 codes.

I have no idea what to do with the code - anyone know?

EDF are meant to do at least 1 actual meter reading (as opposed to estimates) per year.

They do 2 readings a year from my meters.

The date of the next visit is shown on the front of my bill, underneath the amount payable.

You should be able to tell from the invoice if the relevé (reading) is from a meter reading or from  an estimate, or you should ask them to clarify.

I wouldn't give EDF access to the bank account, at least until this is cleared up.

Oh dear! I just noticed that the bill for the house we are living in is low because they've put it on prelevement - which I did not ask for. Why am I not surprised?

I resisted having a DD at all after I tried to set one up years ago and they only set it up for the insurance - which I had refused 3 times - and not the actual bills.

They do it systematically and also shunt you on to a HP/HC abonnement despite you giving them clear instructions and all calls recorded etc etc.

I have just subscribed to 2 new contracts and its taken 3 months to nearly sort them out.

I am on télépaiement which means (so they say) that they wont take the money until you authorise it, call me cynical but they want you to fill out an autorisation de prélèvement so I'm sure they would just take the money anyway, the banks are also complicit in this scam as I never fill out and submit the déclarations but they always pay up when EDF or anyone else asks   [:'(]

I keep the absence of a written authority from me up my sleeve just in case for the future.

Today I thought I'd try the edf English line. I listened to recorded messages and music for 20 mins then a recorded voice announced they could not take the call!

Back to the normal phone line and very helpful woman listened to my saga. I asked why they seem to have set up a DD for 94 euros when they promised 21. I was told another bill is in the post. I asked about the code they sent and that is to be sent to them to confirm the DD. She did not know which of the 2 codes apply, so will send a DD agreement in the post. So long as they don't fine me for not paying the bill meanwhile.