receiving somebody elses mail.

dave21478

This is starting to annoy me.....

I keep receiving mail for somebody else.

My post address is Mr 21478, X de Y, postcode, post town. Its simple and not normally a problem.

Lately I have been receiving post addressed to Mr Somebody Else, X, Lieu Dit Y, postcode, post town. Its not how I or any neighbours would write the address but I suppose its technically correct - or certainly close enough to get here.

Obviously I have no idea who this guy is.

It started with junk mail, loyalty cards from shops and stuff like that, but is now starting to include financial papers.

Whats interesting is that some is addressed directly as above and some is redirected by the post office - there is a red sticker over the original address and a Post Office label with his name but my address on it as the new destination - obviously an official redirection service.

I have peeled the red label off and the original address is up north several hours drive away.

Googling the guys name, it seems to be a rare name with just him listed in the annuaire at this Northern address. I tried calling the associated number but it just rings and rings, never answered and no answering service or machine.

I asked at the post office and they were as utterly unhelpfull as ever. Basically its not their problem, and the only way they can contact the guy regarding his redirection is to write to his (my) address. Brilliant.

I have taken to opening the letters and sending them back to their senders with an explanation - I have yet to hear back from anywhere. I dont care about the junk or the loyalty cards, that can all go in the bin, but there is stuff related to savings accounts with over 350k euros in it.

....Believe me, if I could think of a way to access that I would be posting this from a beach in the Phillippines while a pretty young lady massaged my.....err...ego.

So what else can I do?

I don't think you can do other than what you have.

You are doing your best.

Although, I needed to find out where someone had moved to and called their old Mairie,and explained why, there was a very good reason, and they gave me the new address, as, as in my old commune, I imagine small communes seem to know everyone's business. Daresay sometimes they wouldn't give such info, or, perhaps know where someone had moved to.

[quote user="dave21478"] I have taken to opening the letters and sending them back to their senders with an explanation - I have yet to hear back from anywhere. I dont care about the junk or the loyalty cards, that can all go in the bin, but there is stuff related to savings accounts with over 350k euros in it. ....Believe me, if I could think of a way to access that I would be posting this from a beach in the Phillippines while a pretty young lady massaged my.....err...ego. So what else can I do?[/quote]

Keep thinking [:D]

There is probably more chance of you trousering his argent than the relevant people helping you find him.

I still get stuff for people who lived here at my best estimate 25 years ago, I've owned the place 11 years and it was abandoned for 15 years +

Shops, garages offering test drives of the new model, all that kind of rubbish, the printing and postage costs alone must be €1.50 a pop, talk about being behind the times and not updating your Customer base.

No money coming my way as yet.

Could you, as a one-off - contact the mairie of this other chap's commune and explain to them and give your details and ask them to get the man to contact you? With a resident who has such huge funds they will probably try extremely hard to help him to access them! Worth a try.

Inconnue à cette adresse.

Which is the title of a very good French book that I read early on, it was written for children so was easy to read, it was composed of pen pal messages written between a jewish child in Germany or maybe France during WW2 and an American child IIRC, the title tells you how it ended [:(]