Travelling to Luxembourg

HoneySuckleDreams

Hi

I'm just about to start a contract in Luxembourg so I need recommendations for a hotel around the city....(or is it best to commute in to the city from France)

But...as it's half term for the kids, we're all travelling up there together to have a wander before I have to don the corporate suit! Can anyone one recommend a decent hotel in the centre for 5 of us?

Thanks

Well I guess that's one for me as I've been here 5 years now on and off.

There are lots of hotels, it just depends on your budget.  You can go from the 5 star Royale in the centre of town to say a 2 star Ibis up near the airport.  Just don't contemplate anything near the Gare as that is a really unsavoury part of town unfortunately.  I just remembered, there is a nice Novotel in the centre and also a Sofitel but a bit pricey. 

For longer term stay, check out the Parc Hotel (at Dommeldange)    www.parc-hotel.lu     Lots of 'weekday workers' stay there and fly back to homes at the weekends. It's quite nice and well situated and since you mention 'Corporate suit' it is likely you will be working up at the Kirchberg? If so, the Parc Hotel is a 10 min drive (or 20 on the bus)

The thing to remember is that Lux is very small so even if you're up by the airport its only 10 mins to the centre by car, or even better, 20 mins by bus because parking can be a bit of a mare at times.

If you are thinking of commuting from France from the direction of Nancy/Metz/Thionville, just be aware that there are thousands of Fronteliers doing the same thing every morning and tailbacks of 5 to 10 Kms are not uncommon in the mornings and evenings.

I have lots more info, if you like, please email me and I can send a copy of some 'starter' information that I put together when I had a new guy join my team or anything else you want to know.

I asked around and came up with some more recommendations

Hostellerie de Gruenewald in Dommeldange, has parking and is close to the centre, very good restaurant

also  in Dommeldange , The Hilton (the one on top of the hill) it has beautiful views and a cocktail longe on the umpteenth floor which is great.

Just on the edge of town in Rollingergrund there is   Hotel Siewe Buren ( it means 7 wells)  www.sieweburen.lu  very traditional, very nice and a popular restaurant

hope this helps

• 5 years later...

if you want to rent an apartment then make sure you bring lots of cash. It's very expensive here.

if it's short term then there are web sites available that will offer short term lets. There are always people going away for weeks/months and flats/apartments are available, but I will re-iterate, it's very expensive