Travelling Horses/dogs to France

We are moving our horses & dogs over to Vasles near Parthenay at the end of the month. Originally we were going via Brittany ferries Portsmouth/Caen crossing overnight an eight hour trip. Our dogs will just curl up and go asleep, but as regards the horses, one of them could get a bit twitchy due to the length of time. Have considered going P & O from Dover to Calais as this is a shorter crossing though a longer drive. What have been other peoples experience and what recommendations, suggestions please!!!!!

Karen & Frazer

All our documentation for the animals is in order and everything is arranged with the vets also prior to crossing

Hi

We are doing the Dover to Calais crossing with our dog next week and expect to be able to do the journey down to Ruffec (16) in about 8 hours from Calais. It usually takes us about 6 1/2 - 7 hours with one stop and expect to take a couple more stops with dog. Don't know how much a horse would slow you down though.

Krin

I did Portsmouth/Caen with Brittany/Truckline, but we took the early morning crossing as, at the time, it was shorter. I travelled with 3 horses, one of which was a yearling who had never travelled before. The staff were absolutely brilliant, as they loaded us as the last lorry and immediately lowered the ramp once we were stationary (to give the horses more air). We checked on the horses twice during the crossing and they were very happy. In the end it was the mare, who had done quite a lot of travelling before, who took it the worst, i.e. she hardly touched her hay and didn't look at me with her back-end for a week after, but they all came out of it none the worse for wear.

Regards,
Christiane
www.francesw.com

We have used both P&O and Brittany from Portsmouth - both very good with access to horses at any time and even carrots supplied by the kitchen. We did day crossings and only had a 3 hour drive the other side, but then we used a horse trailer , rather than a box which is more stressfull. Personally I would recommend shorter road time and more ferry time - as I think road travel is more hard work for the horses (maintaining balance etc).

I also think that if the total journey is > 12- 15 hours it is probably a good idea to try and rest overnight - e.g a farm chambre d'hote with a paddock/box etc.

One other thing - it is worth carrying some form of semi-tranquiliser / calmer - just in case.

regs

Richard