Beating the System (or not)?

Sue56

LAST EDITED ON 11-Jun-04 AT 12:07 PM (BST)

LAST EDITED ON 11-Jun-04 AT 11:58AM (BST)

Looking to go to Brittany in August for about 4 weeks. Looked up obviously return ferry crossing for MPV 1 Adult 3 Children, Brittany Ferries Portsmouth - St Malo, overnight crossing, 4 berth cabin, member of property owners club. Given a price of between 598 and 634 depending on exact dates.

Someone said book outward journey through UK and inward journey through France. 323 outwards, 547 euros inwards. No saving, more if anything.

Another said book return through UK but make your return date far longer than you intend to stay then just arrive at the ferry port when you really want to return to UK. Brittany Ferries will put you on next available boat. Kind of an open ticket but not really. I checked price for return mid-September but price was still 578. Not sure how far off you have to book return journey.

Anyway, bit reluctant to do the above as I would imagine you have to pay some sort of handling charge or make the difference up in price (if any). Also if the boat's full which it is likely to be in August, I assume you have to sit and wait until there is a boat with space. With 3 children I don't much fancy that.

Has anyone tried this?

I am resigned to the fact that you simply can't beat the system and I'll just book a normal return ticket for exact dates and accommdation required. Unless of course anyone knows different?

Have just read Val's post and replies on 24 May - am now going to phone (probably more than once so I speak to different telephonists) and try haggle a better price. Will let you know how I get on.

>LAST EDITED ON 11-Jun-04
>AT 12:07PM (BST)
>
>LAST EDITED ON 11-Jun-04
>AT 11:58AM (BST)
>
>Looking to go to Brittany in
>August for about 4 weeks.
> Looked up obviously return
>ferry crossing for MPV 1
>Adult 3 Children, Brittany Ferries
>Portsmouth - St Malo, overnight
>crossing, 4 berth cabin, member
>of property owners club.
>Given a price of between
>598 and 634 depending on
>exact dates.
>

Sue

if you can face the extra driving and are prepared to wait until the last minute - 2 to 3 weeks - look for cheap Hoverspeed deals at www.ferrysale.com . Further to drive but available to book now is www.speedferries.com . We have booked a 3+weeks crossing for August for 88 - altho' that was some weeks back so under their pricing structure it may be more now.

Key it to be flexible and hold your nerve until close to your desired departure date.

I#d agree with the other comments about feelign robbed by Brittany Ferries. Altho' we usually stay/stop with my mother in law who lives in Ouistreham literally one minute from the port, we have not used BF for the apst year or so. We can travel over 4-5 times a year via Dieppe etc compared to 1 trip with BF from P'mouth to Ouistreham.

I get to see so much more of my MIL!!!

Andy Spencer

Francophile in Essex

LAST EDITED ON 12-Jun-04 AT 09:46 AM (BST)

LAST EDITED ON 12-Jun-04 AT 09:35AM (BST)

BF in August and September is expensive, no doubt about it. Can you travel mid week and in the daytime, does it have to be Portsmouth - St Malo, this is their most expensive route. Poole -Cherbourg for example - 265 return fare out and back on Wednesday in early August returning early September.

Liz (29)