P & O Ferries Sockholder Discounts

Is anyone else out there a P & O stockholder? We have been stockholders since 1987, initially with Townsend Thoreson before the takeover, and have always booked with P&O to receive the discounts. However of late their fares have become ridiculously high and it has been cheaper to book with other companies. Has anyone else found this? Are there other loyalty schemes available, which genuinely give discounts on their fares?

I'd appreciate any feedback

Gill

I have been a P&O stockholder for the last 2 years and have only used the stockholder option once in that time.
I have usually used their visitor to Britain fares which are usually slightly cheaper than the stockholder price.
If we did not have 2 dogs to take with us I would now probably use the new Boulogne - Dover crossing, although their website says they will be taking pets later this summer.
Regards
Ray

We use the season ticket scheme for the Dover-Calais crossings. You have to buy a minimum of 5 tickets in one year, but they cost about 90 for any 5 day return and approx 120 for any longer stays.

The advantages are that the tickets are fully flexible, which we like as we don't want to be tied down to a specific date and time, we like being able to turn up for any ferry on the booked date. You also get priority loading, and discounted (6) tickets for the club class lounge, which pay for themselves immediately as you get free champagne, teas, coffees, biscuits, fruit, newspapers etc, in a very relaxed environment - a real bonus when the boat is packed full to the gills.

Apparently you can also allocate up to 5 tickets in any one year to friends and family.

We have been P&O Stockholders since 2001 and have saved on crossings since then. However, we've decided to give Speed Ferries a whirl and have booked our next two crossings with them - 65 and 50 respectively, much cheaper than any discounted fare with P&O

We have been P&O Stockholders since 2002 and have saved on crossings since them. However, we have decided to give Speed Ferries a whirl and have booked our next two crossings with them - 65 and 50 respectively - much cheaper than any discounted fares with P&O

Elaine

I have been a stockholder for about 15 years, in which time the deal has almost disappeared - so much so that it is often cheaper to book online as a normal customer that to book through the concession scheme.

For our trips this year, we have booked with Speedferries. For a two week return trip in July (on the same days and roughly the same times) P & O wanted 285 return (discounted from 365), Speedferries price was 65 return!

I just hope that P & O will sit up and take notice.

We bought the preference shares back in 1982, when I was travelling regularly back and forth (working near Lille), and they have saved us a lot of money over the years. I agree though, that fares have now got to ridiculous levels, even with the discount.

We only cross the Channel once or twice a year now, and always use Portsmouth/Cherbourg or Le Havre, because the drive is easier from oop north - only about 5 hours to Portsmouth instead of 7-8+ if we go to Dover. That's why we haven't tried Speedferries yet, but if they ever open up the western channel route, we'll be trying it.

Elizabeth (Lancs)

I agree that the stockholder savings aren't always good. I joined their Traveller scheme for homeowners and saved my registration fee on the first trip! They also give points which can be deducted from the cost of future bookings. On the Le Havre run we get a free day cabin too.

Graham