Speedferries again

Will

I have just been researching the backgrouund to this service for a maritime magazine and unearthed a snippet which might be of interest.

The SpeedOne ferry is Incat Tasmania yard number 045, which formerly served as HMAS Jervis Bay for the Royal Australian Navy during the East Timor Crisis between 1999 and 2001. Since then she has also operated fast ferry services between the mainland and islands of Italy. She has a capacity of 200 cars, the original passenger capacity of 900 passengers has been reduced to around 700 to allow additional facilities to be incorporated.

So you are actually travelling on the first fast ferry to have been used as a warship.

The US forces currently have three larger incat catamarans in military service for evaluation, while another vesel from Austal, another Australian builder is used for transport by the US Marines in the Pacific. Lightweight high speed fast ferry technology is also at the heart of various other US Navy new ship programmes.

Will (50)
Forum moderator

Despite various critical comments of their pricing policy I found them very fair. I had to change a crossing from next Friday to Tuesday and the charge was 25 which I thought not unreasonable. The total for both was was still onlt 105.
If there was no charge for changes everyone would be booking early any 2 weeks to get the best price and changing later when they had finalised their plans.
Keith