Eurotunnel New Strategy

BJSLIV

After the P&O announcement a few weeks ago we now have Eurotunnel launching their new Strategy Project Dare

DARE: A new commercial strategy for Passenger Shuttles

At a time when tourism between Great Britain and the continent are on the increase, over the past five years the traffic across the Short Straits has diminished (-15%). The decline has been particularly marked in the day trip segment, which is a significant one for Eurotunnel.

The manifest over-capacity of the passenger shuttles has led to excessive operating costs. In this context, competition with the ferries has forced Eurotunnel into a permanent cycle of promotional activity.

Given such market conditions, restoring margins requires:

- The adjustment of capacity to meet demand in target segments, resulting in flexible running costs;

- Prices fixed according to the date of reservation and the load factor;

- A communication strategy focused on the added value of the Eurotunnel shuttles, on the price and on the ability to provide a service suited to the needs of each customer.

Translating this into English I guess this means ever changing prices like on the Ferries and in particular as on Ryanair, which could make it more expensive for last minute trips.

No, actually, translating it into English means you're going to pay more. See my earlier post. There is supposed to be a special £98 after 2pm fare for Points Plus customers - tried booking it - hopeless. There was plenty of capacity on the requested shuttle as I found when I booked paying a higher fare. These "cheap" fares are quota limited. For the rest of my bookings next year I have gone elsewhere. I cannot see the sense in the termination of the Property Owners Club.

Patrick