Hoverspeed

Tom

This is part of the statement from Sea Containers (Hoverspeed's parent):

"Hoverspeed is in negotiation with Transmanche to sell them the Newhaven/Dieppe route including the vessel (sale or charter).  In 2005 two larger ships will be employed on the Dover/Calais route in order to accommodate more peak season volumes.  The third ship employed on the route this year will be moved to the Mediterranean.  Other fast ferry fleet deployment changes are planned and will be announced before Christmas." 

Hope the Dover Calais routes continues as this year. They were my favourite based on speed and cost. Suprised about the Newhaven Dieppe route as I couldnt find any space in the summer when I went over, To France was fine but nothing for the return journeys. Everything was booked solid, had to come back via Calais.

Bob

Newhaven/Dieppe is a very good route if you are travelling to Western France from South West or West London, especially with the fast ferry only taking 2 hours.

I guess though that the ferry they are trying to sell to Transmanche isn't the fast one.

"I guess though that the ferry they are trying to sell to Transmanche isn't the fast one."

Hoverspeed only operates fast ferries - it has a fleet of catamarans, as used Dover/Calais in 2004, and larger monohulls, it being one of the latter that has operated the Newhaven/Dieppe route this year. It sounds as if it will be using a couple of monohulls from Dover, so it may be trying to get Transmanche to take a catamaran. The cats are getting rather old now, and they are not straightforward to operate even when in the best of condition - look at the P&O Cherbourg service. Somehow I don't see Transmanche being able to run a reliable fast ferry service, unless they charter one with an experienced crew and a good maintenance contract.

Yes its is owned by the Conseil Regionale who subcontract ther operation to Sardinian Ferries.

Not sure what the latest news is , but since the change of poliotical control at the last elections some questions were being asked as to  long-term viability.

• 1 month later...

We have a booking at Easter with Hoverspeed for the Newhaven-Dieppe route - I rang today expecting to get a refund or have to amend it to Dover-Calais but was told that they are still taking bookings for this route. So does this mean Hoverspeed will still be operating it or are taking bookings for whoever is taking over?

Paul

Negotiations have been taking place between Hoverspeed and the Regional Authority in Normandy with a view to the French taking over the line. They  are after all the owners of the Transmanche ferry route, and have already announced plans for their own Fastcrafts in the coming years.

However there have been some speculations about the future of Transmanche itself given their poor results to date, and the change of political control in France.

I would guess that there may been some advantage to the French side if they could end the existing arrangement with Sardinia Ferries,who currently operate the route, and use Hoverspeeds capacity, to continue the route until the new Superfast crafts become available.

If this is the case it will be useful to have some bookings, however few, in place, rather than coming back onto the scene in February with no bookings at all.

Transmanche poor results may be due to the fact that they don't seem to market themselves very well. Newhaven is easy to get to for a large number of people living in the south east, but they are very rarely mentioned as a viable alternative to P&O,BF,or Eurotunnel.