Eurotunnel

Russethouse

[quote]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4204569.stmRather an ominous comment from the BBC business correspondent at the end of the report.[/quote]

Yes.

But he is talking about the company not the tunnel. If the company ceases trading the tunnel will still be there. The 122 (or whatever) banks will still want some return from their investment OR to rid themselves of this troublesome asset. The tunnel will continue operating whatever happens. If nothing else it generates cash.

Who knows, if the banks decide to cut their losses we shall end up with an efficient and effective channel crossing system. Even with the idiot managers the French shareholders foisted on the company, it makes an operating profit. If the debt burden could be removed the tunnel should be a very attractive alternative to the ferries - using the tunnel I have done motorway to autoroute in less than an hour on a number of occasions.

According to the BBC lunchtime news report on Eurotunnel, the company are considering lowering their fares from Folkestone to increase the falling numbers of cars using the service. We will just have to wait and see.

Baz

[quote]According to the BBC lunchtime news report on Eurotunnel, the company are considering lowering their fares from Folkestone to increase the falling numbers of cars using the service. We will just have ...[/quote]

Yes Baz, you are right they are going to do this but I cannot see it coming down to compete with Speedferries!

Apparently Eurotunnel were conspicuous by their absence at the Vive La France exhibition last weekend, a friend of mine had a few questions to put to them. I heard someone say its a case of the lunatics taking over the asylum, I have checked their fully flexible returns and no way are they competitive or attractive to the wider market, which was what they said they were trying to achieve in their winding up letter of Property Owners. Watch that space

leray

I received this week the new prices from Eurotunnel. I was a points plus member till they scrapped them. They are now offering 10 single crossings for £39 each. You have to pay upfront but then you can book your crossings to suit you. You have to go out between certain times and have to cross back before 3.00pm in the afternoon. I you wish to go outside these times you pay either £20 extra or £30 depending on the high season dates. We are definately going to book this even though we might not use them all up. The cheapest way that they are offering is £300 i.e. £150 if you book by tomorrow at the latest. You need to go online and check.