Eurotunnel Frequent Traveller

JohnD

I am considering subscribing to the Frequent Traveller scheme, ie ten single tickets @ 39.00.  

Has anyone who has used the above got any pro`s / con`s or advice to share. Are there any problems in booking your time slot.?  

Regards

JOHND

P.S

Can anyone reccomend a small hotel in Montreuil ?         

We've been members since September and made 3 return trips. I was concerned about the prospects of Eurotunnel going into liquidation but as someone on this forum pointed out if you pay with a credit card then you should be covered for that eventuality. There is, of course, the premium for travel at peak times to consider - £20 for most of the year with an added premium on summer weekends for morning outward and evening return trips. If like us you travel out and back in the evening then the cost of a return is £98 - not that good a deal compared to some on offer elsewhere.

Beware that there is limited space available for tickets on the scheme. I tried to make a late booking just before half term and although there were tickets available on the standard booking system for the time I wanted there were no Frequent Traveller slots available. This might be more of a problem during the summer.

One advantage over the old scheme is that it is possible to book a return as two singles giving flexibility on the time of return right up to the day before return travel.

Best Regards

Alan.

I  used my 1st 10 trips up between February and August this year.  Just paid for the next 10.

No problems of any note.  Sometimes couldn't book the 1st crossing after 3pm but most times if we turned up before 3 pm we got on an earlier one.  Coming back we usually got on before the booked time.  There were 2 crossings where we were delayed a bit. Nothing serious and would have happened if we'd just booked a normal return.

Simone

We're now half way through our second batch of 10 tickets, and haven't had any problem booking so far.  I've always managed to get a crossing within 30 minutes of the time I wanted, and when I've arrived early at the tunnel they've always tried to get me onto an earlier crossing.  As I'm restricted to only travelling during school holidays (I'm a teacher - it's only the kids who can get away with holidays during term time!), using the frequent traveller service has saved us a lot of money, as the normal prices are always bumped up for the holidays.  I usually book about 3 - 4 weeks before I want to go, but have also managed bookings at shorter notice.

Marie

Hi, we have almost used up our 4th lot of tickets!  I have been really impressed with this scheme, I am usually lucky enough to get on an earlier train if I arrive early and have never had to pay any extra which is a bonus as I always seemed to be paying an extra £30 if I missed my train before the scheme! It's always difficult to judge the journey time when travelling a long way....... roadworks, accidents etc. Also I have never had a problem with returning home earlier, although I have not yet tried a later train than the one I booked.  I usually book two singles now as it seems fairly straightforward to amend your return journey if you need to.

I nearly always book late, due to our circumstances, and have rarely been able to get a ticket for our preferred time. School holidays are a bit more difficult, so I should remember to book earlier, but that's my fault!

The only downside for us, is that if I want to travel without my husband or vice versa and the tickets are in his/my name, I have to buy a separate batch in my/his name, mind you, having said that, we still manage to use them all long before the expiry date.

Milly

Can anyone reccomend a small hotel in Montreuil ? 

Hi John,

Our house is near Montreuil, however, we haven't stayed in any local hotels, but  stayed in a lovely little gite just outside Montreuil in 2004. Let me know if you would like the details.  I believe the lady (French) also has a gite in Montreuil.

Milly